Neil Sedaka ebony angel? backstory?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

geoff85

Neil Sedaka ebony angel? backstory?

Post by geoff85 »

Very groundbreaking for the.times no? I heard a rumour it was written for florence of 5d? Anyone,know,the.truth behind this?
Blair N. Cummings

Re: Neil Sedaka ebony angel? backstory?

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I`d say it was very much aligned with the times (`69), although I very much doubt that Sedaka was in any way involved with Florence LaRue. For some reason I always assumed that Sedaka was gay, `though I don`t really know why. Irrelevantly, I never liked his songs and thought that his mid-`70s "comeback" was nauseatingly banal.
The short answer to your question is: I don`t.
Fussi

Post by Fussi »

I think by that time he was already married to Leba. Yes, very much aligned with the times. Beautiful song! I think the whole "Workin' On A Groovy Thing" album is fantastic!
Last edited by Fussi on Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

I myself am,not,a,huge fan of sedaka in comparison to the other,brill writers with the exception of 5d workin on a groovy thing and his own cover of laughter in the rain(which is one of my all time faves).

Your assumptions of neil could be due to the sound of his speaking/singing voice. Tho that was during the heights of civil rights movement mainstream entertainment takes time to follow suit unless the film or song is making a political statement. Either way im sure guys of all colors were " groovin" on the girls from 5d.