Is Jimmy Webbs sound just Brian Wilson imitating Burt??

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

geoff85

Is Jimmy Webbs sound just Brian Wilson imitating Burt??

Post by geoff85 »

I have heard Glenn Campbells dumb was a big influence on the Jimmy Webb signature sound. Brian Wilson himself was very influenced by Burt at the time and many describe the production as a knock off Burt styled production. However when I hear it all i hear is Jimmy Webb it is very similar to BJ Thomas if you should leave my life which is another Burt knockoff. Did two seperate composers just end up at the same destination by chance or was one tailgating the other?

Glenn Cambpell dumb

BJ THOMAS if you must leave my life
Blair N. Cummings

Re: Is Jimmy Webbs sound just Brian Wilson imitating Burt??

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Burt was obviously an acknowledged influence on JW and the (in my view) wildly over-rated Wilson (whose claim to melodic fame rests on a half-dozen or fewer songs).
I think Webb was creative enough in his own right not to merit the "tailgating" metaphor. The version of "If You Must Leave..." you cited was, itself, a knock-off of the original Webb-produced recording. Your youth may be undermining you again. Have you never heard these?

geoff85

Re: Is Jimmy Webbs sound just Brian Wilson imitating Burt??

Post by geoff85 »

Blair N. Cummings wrote:Burt was obviously an acknowledged influence on JW and the (in my view) wildly over-rated Wilson (whose claim to melodic fame rests on a half-dozen or fewer songs).
I think Webb was creative enough in his own right not to merit the "tailgating" metaphor. The version of "If You Must Leave..." you cited was, itself, a knock-off of the original Webb-produced recording. Your youth may be undermining you again. Have you never heard these?

I prefer the BJ Thomas version to the Richard Harris version if that is the orginal you are referring to. Bj's voice sounds light and just glides over the track i feel Richard's voice is so weighted and heavy which works well for some ballads but not with the higher rpms. I myself use to think Brian Wilson was overrated but his good songs are excellent. I am sure he could have had a more extensive catalogue had he done more as he def had the sensibilities musically to do it.