Did Phil Spector write one lyric or compose one note?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

geoff85

Did Phil Spector write one lyric or compose one note?

Post by geoff85 »

Sadly i wasnt around during these grand ol times but from what I glean it seemed like Phil Spector is the most glorified recording engineer that ever existed. However is there any proof that he had a hand in the melody or lyrics of any of the songs with his name attached to it. As a musical investigator of the classics i tend to suspect the spector sound is really Greenwich/ Barry with a wagnerian recording approach. Am i spot on or do i have it wrong? Someone fill me in on the facts.

Regardless of who it should be attributed to there is a Spector sound irrespective of the wall of sound that i associate with the girl groups he worked with during the early 60s. This song is a good example of the spector sound with a twist.
blueonblue

Re: Did Phil Spector write one lyric or compose one note?

Post by blueonblue »

Phil Spector was a Genius, Here's a song he co-wrote with Carole King and Gerry Goffin.
It certainly wouldn't please today's "politically correct" brigade.

"blue"
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Did he write the words or musical melodies to the ronette the crystals righteous bros etc? Or was he just the recording engineer?
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Spector is certainly credited as co-writer on most of his biggest hit's as well as producing them.
His recording engineer was Larry Levine and his arranger was Jack Nitzsche.
Most of his hits were recorded at Goldstar Studios using a group of musicians famously known as "The Wrecking Crew" during the mid-sixties.
Some other writers Spector worked with were Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller, Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich, Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann among several other Brill Building writers.
Gene Pitney was credited as the sole writer of "He's a Rebel".

"blue"
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

blueonblue wrote:Spector is certainly credited as co-writer on most of his biggest hit's as well as producing them.
Most of his hits were recorded at Goldstar Studios using a group of musicians famously known as "The Wrecking Crew" during the mid-sixties.
Some other writers Spector worked with were Jerry Lieber and Mike Stoller, Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich, Cynthia Weil and Barry Mann among several other Brill Building writers.

"blue"
with all of the Phil Spector's talent why is it that he could not produce a song without any of the song writing tandems. is there a song out there that is solely composed and produced by Phil Spector?
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

blueonblue wrote:Phil Spector was a Genius, Here's a song he co-wrote with Carole King and Gerry Goffin.
It certainly wouldn't please today's "politically correct" brigade.

"blue"
I've always heard about this very controversial song but have never had the opportunity to actually hear it until now. the melodies are very beautiful and it has that typical wagnerian pproach to it but the lyrics are very controversial.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Why was it written?

Why was it recorded?

Why was it released?
Fussi

Post by Fussi »

geoff85 wrote:
blueonblue wrote:Spector is certainly credited as co-writer on most of his biggest hit's as well as producing them.

"blue"
with all of the Phil Spector's talent why is it that he could not produce a song without any of the song writing tandems. is there a song out there that is solely composed and produced by Phil Spector?

The Teddy Bears' "To Know Him Is To Love Him" was composed solely by Phil Spector. He was also a member of that group.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Just Phil and his Guitar......
Lyrics: Jerry Leiber Music: Phil Spector.

"blue"
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Ron, it was written by Gerry Goffin and Corole King when they found out that their baby-sitter (Little Eva, of course) was being regularly beaten by her boyfriend and whose justifications are described in the lyrics.
Supposedly, it was recorded and released so that Phil could extricate himself from one contract or another.
Reminds me of this Velvet Underground track from `69 (which could be the sick male`s viewpoint - leave it to Lou):