Dionne's voice these days

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

HugeDionnefan

Dionne's voice these days

Post by HugeDionnefan »

Dionne appears to be in really good voice in 2015 compared to the last few years. Her voice sounds much less raspy these days. Here's a video proving that.
face

Re: Dionne's voice these days

Post by face »

Yes, those recent clips do show some improvement! I'm guessing that it really comes down to her light schedule these days, as opposed to when she was slugging out those one nighters all around the world for months at a time. Rest is very important for any singer, especially one with her lifestyle and age. Go Dionne!
HugeDionnefan

Post by HugeDionnefan »

I was actually at that benefit gig and I actually took that video. Anyway I was actually really surprised about how good her voice was sounding! She brought that's what friends are for back to the original key of E flat which I liked. Also this has nothing to do with her voice but I stood up and screamed I love you Dionne, and she said "I love you back."
turnupthemusic

Post by turnupthemusic »

I know this isn't strictly Burt related but it's subject that's been discussed here a few times before. I just wanted to share a couple of performances where Dionne is sounding far better, I think the significantly reduced number of shows she does is helping her voice.

A very rare performance of We Are The World with Jon Secada at the La Musa awards here.

And performing Anyone Who Had A Heart amongst other songs here, though I still think it would be better if she performed it a slightly higher key - I think it misses some of the emotion because she doesn't have to give it her all to reach those notes. Take her performance from Burt from 2000 (here) as an example, though I know it's unlikely she would be able to sing it in that key nowadays.
MexicanDivorce

Post by MexicanDivorce »

On the 10th of October I saw Dionne performing in Vlissingen, Netherlands. Her voice was in very good condition and it was an amazing concert. I drove with the car one way 475 km and it was it worth to see her again. I´m a huge fan of her since I was sixteen during my aunt plays old records from the 60s! Important key-records for me personally were "Anyone who had a heart", "The windows of the world" and her version of the None-Bacharach-Tune "You´ve lost that lovin´feeling".

She gave her audience a very amazing sophisitcated performance, except "Heartbreaker" was a little difficult for her to sing, but she never like the song, so for me it isn´t so important.
I wish all the best for her, amazing and fantasic stage performance, which Dionne did that evening.
Presenting Cissy Houston
vocals on "Mexican Divorce" by Cissy Houston
turnupthemusic

Post by turnupthemusic »

MexicanDivorce wrote:On the 10th of October I saw Dionne performing in Vlissingen, Netherlands. Her voice was in very good condition and it was an amazing concert. I drove with the car one way 475 km and it was it worth to see her again. I´m a huge fan of her since I was sixteen during my aunt plays old records from the 60s! Important key-records for me personally were "Anyone who had a heart", "The windows of the world" and her version of the None-Bacharach-Tune "You´ve lost that lovin´feeling".

She gave her audience a very amazing sophisitcated performance, except "Heartbreaker" was a little difficult for her to sing, but she never like the song, so for me it isn´t so important.
I wish all the best for her, amazing and fantasic stage performance, which Dionne did that evening.
I think those top notes in Heartbreaker are a problem for her now so she doesn't sing them, particularly in the last chorus where the key changes up a step.

Just one more video from me - Dionne reunited with Gladys and Stevie 30 years after the original recording of That's What Friends Are For here - still in the original key too, they all sound fantastic.