Benefit concert L A tomorrow

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Nicko

Benefit concert L A tomorrow

Post by Nicko »

Not sure if you're aware of this but it is well worth supporting if you able to at the Saban Theatre, wilshere Boulevarde, L A

Performances from

Dione Warwick
Stephen Bishop
Micky Dolenz
Howard Jones
Rumer
turnupthemusic

Re: Benefit concert L A tomorrow

Post by turnupthemusic »

Here's Dionne performing Walk on By and Anyone Who Had a Heart, and there's also This Girl's In Love With You and Say a Little Prayer in the other links.

For all the criticism on here of Dionne's voice, she really seems to have benefited from some rest to her voice - she sounds great here, and as always looks fantastic for her 74 years of age.

EDIT: And just to add another performance, That's What Friends Are For. It looks like she's started performing it in the original key again too, which probably also suggests she also thinks her voice is doing better!

face

Re: Benefit concert L A tomorrow

Post by face »

She does indeed sound better here than she has in many recent appearances. Thanks for sharing. It seems that Dionne's voice benefits more from rest than anything else these days, as it is likely the only real variable from one performance to the next. I'm amazed that her voice held up as well as it did just a few years ago when she was touring constantly--I'm not sure that people half her age wouldn't have fallen apart! Of course, she also benefits from her shrewd decision many years ago to ax some of the more demanding songs from her concert repertoire in favor of the more gentle, "crooning" style songs, and to lower them significantly. The real gauge of her vocal condition, to me, is always "I'll Never Love This Way Again," because it's harder for her to mask any problems she's having on that one. When she starts off strong and holds the first notes of the chorus, I know she's feeling well. When she turns the mic out to the audience for a singalong chorus, then I just "say a little prayer" for her to get through it! Ha!