Mingus B`day Bash on KCR

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

Mingus B`day Bash on KCR

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Sorry for the short notice but it starts at midnight EDT and runs for 24 hours with a one hour break tomorrow evening.
See here:

https://www.cc-seas.columbia.edu/wkcr/

For neophytes, here`s a nice introduction:

Hey, there`s no other sound here but the wind in the alley...
Bruce Bernard Williams

Re: Mingus B`day Bash on KCR

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Thanks Blair, I probably will miss most of it as I am employed and want to stay so. Caught him in 1968 at the Schlitz Salute to Jazz at the State Fairgrounds Arena in OKC. Also billed were Gary Burton Quartet, Dionne Warwick (sang the hell out of "Reach Out For Me"), and Jimmy Smith (who replaced Wes Montgomery who died 2 wks earlier). Charlie's set was great—1 hour long. He was such an innovator and was a superb improvisor. These were good times for ALL genres. So sad that they don't make 'em like they used to. I wish they would offer jazz classes in both the secondary schools and colleges and make them a requirement. If not, I'm afraid that even the word "jazz" may be deleted from the English language!
Blair N. Cummings

Re: Mingus B`day Bash on KCR

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Mingus was one of the masters I missed live, but I saw the Don Pullen/George Adams/Danny Richman group more than once.
My god, what music they made! I say that with the exclamation point because, although I made a point of seeing younger players and admired their talent, there simply has been nothing on earth to equal the talent of that generation.
I hope to make it back to New York in October to catch the Oliver Lake/Reggie Workman/Andrew Cyrille gig at the Blue Note, but that may be just a fantasy given the parlous state of my finances.