R.I.P.—Joe Sample

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bruce Bernard Williams

R.I.P.—Joe Sample

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Joe Sample died of complications of lung cancer yesterday in Houston at the MD Anderson Cancer Center. His family was at his side. Joe was 75. He was recently mentioned on this forum in a thread discussing his association with the group The (Jazz) Crusaders and Randy Crawford ("Street Life"). He was a gifted and talented pianist that happened to be one of my favorites. My favorite piece by him was titled "Hippies On The Corner" from his "Old Places, Old Faces" Warners album. My thoughts and prayers are extended to his family, friends, and associates.
Sara D

Re: R.I.P.—Joe Sample

Post by Sara D »

Saddened beyond words to hear the news. We had tickets for one of his scheduled appearances at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club in early August, dates which he had to cancel because of his illness.

One of the prettiest tunes Joe Sample wrote was 'Fly With the Wings of Love' from his 'Rainbow Seeker' album. When the Crusaders played the Festival Hall in the early 80s they were accompanied by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra and I remember having goosebumps on top of goosebumps when they played the piece:

ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Melissa Manchester posted on her "Facebook page" that Joe Sample recently recorded with her on her soon to be released CD "You Gotta Love The Life". .... They recorded a song written by Melissa Manchester and Hal David (turns out it was Hal's last) ..... See photo on Melissa's "Facebook" page.
Downtown

Post by Downtown »

The song Meilssa Manchester co-wrote with Hal and that apparently is the very last lyric he ever wrote is called: "The Other End of the Phone“. And the recording has both Dionne and Joe Sample on it.

Melissa ist trying to get the album release financed through crowd-funding and that apparently has proved more difficult than she first thought. And therefore the release has been postponed to early next year.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

I wasn't aware until I heard the Moira Stuart show on BBC Radio 2 on Sunday night that Joe Sample had recorded 'A House is not a Home'. He takes a few liberties with the time and the chords but he was a jazzman after all: