Liverpool Empire Theatre: 03 August

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Andrew

Liverpool Empire Theatre: 03 August

Post by Andrew »

Hello all

I hope everyone is well - it's been a very long time since I've posted anything!

I just wanted to say that, as expected, the Liverpool concert on Sunday was absolutely fantastic. My wife Clare and I had great seats at the Empire theatre and Burt and the band all seemed to enjoy the performace as much as the audience did.

We both found the night quite emotional as we felt this was likely to be the last time we see Burt and there we were, sitting and listening him play the soundtrack of our life together. It was the rendition of Come Touch the Sun that got me going!

Anyway, needless to say the night was perfect and as there was no interval we met a couple of friends in a pub just at the rear of the theatre after the show. As it was a nice night, we were outside enjoying a beer and a crowd of people had gathered at the rear theatre doors. About 15 minutes later, there was a rumbling in the crowd and Burt appeared! it was quite surreal as I just walked forward and seemed to suddenly find myself face to face with the man himself. I thanked him, shook his hand, said he must come back to Liverpool to which he replied that it was a 'great city and theatre' and then I floated back to my wife and friends with the biggest grin on my face!

What an amazing night, one I'll cherish for ever.

Andrew
PS - Martyn & Vincent - I hope you both are well and it would be great to hear from you.
pljms

Re: Liverpool Empire Theatre: 03 August

Post by pljms »

A review from the Liverpool Echo by one Jade Wright:

'A five-star show packed with the legendary songwriter's hits, as well as references to Liverpool's own musical stars.

In the history of pop music few people have been more influential than Burt Bacharach. The songwriter has penned more hits than almost any other figure in music. At the Empire he played two and a quarter hours of them back to back. Together with an impressive live band he ran through hit after hit, starting with the sublime What The World Needs Now and closing with a singalong version of Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head. In between he played selected highlights: Don’t Make Me Over, Walk on By, This Guy’s in Love With You, Do You Know the Way to San Jose, There’s Always Something There to Remind Me and so many more. There were nods to The Beatles, who recorded Baby It’s You, and to Elvis Costello with the song they wrote together God Give Me Strength. Even Cilla’s Alfie and Anyone Who Had a Heart were in there. It’s hard to believe he’s 86 - he could show most performers a quarter of his age a thing or two. Playing piano and occasionally singing - much of this is left to his backing singers these days - he shone with energy throughout the set, only pausing for a sip of water or to tell a joke. As a keen football fan, he revelled in talking about Suarez and his time at Liverpool FC, slipping in a mention for Everton too. After three standing ovations Burt was finally allowed to leave the stage, but not before a voice shouted from the crowd “when are you coming back again?” He laughed as he responded “I wish it was tomorrow.” Judging from the cheers the crowd felt the same way.'
Paul
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

A fantastic review for a fantastic night!
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Andrew!

Hey, it great that you went to the Burt Concert!

How have you been? I am doing well. It's been awhile.

Drop me a private message and we can catch on what has been going on in our lives!

Take care mon ami.

Vincent