Saturday Sunshine

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

Saturday Sunshine

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I think that I can definitively say that this was the first Bacharach song I heard and that it made me not just a devotee but a general auteurist. I always was ever after more interested in who wrote a piece of music than who performed it.
The fun here is in the question: Who the hell sang this:
Boy? Girl? Eunuch?
In the end, it really doesn`t matter I guess because I love it so much but it would be interesting to know.
(More interesting to me, anyway, than who Rob Shrock is screwing).
ron hertel

Re: Saturday Sunshine

Post by ron hertel »

..... Blair! - Always appreciate the fact that you tell it like it is! ..... Could not agree with you more on your last point! ...... I always thought that "Saturday Sunshine" sounded like something from the Broadway production of "Annie" - perhaps a followup to: "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow"
Blair N. Cummings

Ron, you might be interested to know that the obnoxious "Tomorrow" was originally composed for a segment of an early PBS show called The Great American Dream Machine ca. `70/`71. If you`re a Boomer like me you may recall it.
At any rate, the lyric for the first verse of the piece was:
The way we live now
is different
from the way used to live
Or is it? I`m not sure
???????????
is different
We make love instead of war
or do we?
????
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Blair: I was already out of college when that ran on PBS; however, I somehow missed it - and - was unaware of it! ....... Perhaps "Saturday Sunshine" should have been paired up with "The World Is A Circle" in the ill fated "Lost Horizon" soundtrack. .... By the way - I kind of like both of these songs! ....... Going back to my mid-60's college years and "totally unrelated" to the topic under discussion - I worked the San Diego Comic Con Convention last week. ... Adam West, Burt Ward and Julie Newmar were there to promote the DVD release of the entire 3 year television series "BATMAN" which aired twice a week back then. .... The remastered results are incredible. The set will be released in November for any who are interested.
Blair N. Cummings

I can`t say that I`m a big comics fan but I recall that Julie Newmar - before her Catwoman incarnation - certainly captured my attention in several ways on the short-lived series My Living Doll.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

"Holy Box Sets".....that's fantastic news Ron !!!

Penguin..... you feathered fiend !

"blue"
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

"blue" .... You"ll LOVE THIS DVD set ...... The previews we presented in Hall H were awesome! ... ZAP! ... POW! ... ENJOY!
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the info,
This incredible TV series is long overdue on DVD !

Holy documentaries !

"blue" (apologies to Blair)
Blair N. Cummings

To answer my own question (and according to a YouTube poster attributing it to a Detroit dj), it was a young boy who sang this song.
I know we`ll all sleep easier tonight.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Blair,
I guess only Mr B will know the boy's name ?
Here are two versions...one with the vocal and one without.
I've always loved this song.

"blue"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

I kind of think its a young boy as well...but you know what's interesting is that you would think the boy as an older man would have surfaced somehow talking about his recording experience with Bacharach back in the day...but no...it doesn't seem to be...that someone got some info about some dj had some knowledge of it is kind of a great thing, as it's so obscure. : )