Dionne Warwick Interviewed by Dan Rather

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

BachtoBacharach

Dionne Warwick Interviewed by Dan Rather

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Dionne Warwick was recently interviewed by Dan Rather. The interview was carried on AXS-TV and was telecast last night. In the interview, Warwick was surprisingly candid and humble. On Whitney Houston's death she remarked on Rather's question whether Whitney Houston's death was the price of fame: "No, I'd say it was the price of choice.. the choices she made." She spoke very kindly of Burt Bacharach and Hal David as was expected. She spoke of losing her 20 year old brother Mancel in 1968 and of the tremendous guilt she felt over his death by automobile accident. She revealed for the first time that she purchased the car that he was racing that night when he was killed and she said her brother was very stubborn and she finally accepted that he chose to race the car and that it wasn't her fault. Spoke of the deaths of her beloved mother and father and of her sister DeeDee. On her recent troubles with the IRS and her bankruptcy, she stated to Rather that her trust of the people she hired to take care of her business was misplaced and those folks let her down; that she failed to stay informed about her finances and took a lot for granted. She blamed herself for the predicament she found herself in. Rather asked if her pride got in the way and she said yes, that she agonized over the decision stating "Dionne Warwick doesn't file bankruptcy" but when she realized how dire her situation was, she swallowed her pride and filed. She said it has been the most freeing experience of her life. She stated that she is traveling and playing only those venues she chooses these days and that soon she will call touring quits. She stated that she spoke with Sammy Davis, Jr. years ago about performing and Davis stated to her that he wanted to die on stage. Warwick told him he was crazy. She also stated that she wants to hang it all up and put our a recording every once in a while as long as people want her to. All in all, Warwick was like I have never seen her in an interview...gone was the haughty diva attitude, replaced with gratitude and humility and no denial. This was possibly the most soul baring and candid interview of her career. What I saw in that interview was the old Dionne Warwick from many years ago when performing was fun and life was good and she wasn't laboring heavily under the burden of tremendous debt and grinding it out and wasn't full of foolish pride. Welcome back Dionne! I am happy that you seem to have found real happiness again!
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: Dionne Warwick Interviewed by Dan Rather

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Very nice and thanks for the summary. She's also going to be on Jools Holland's show this week and I have my dvr set to record it.
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour BachtoBacharach;

As always, I enjoy your refreshing comments!

Glad to hear that Dionne is very open about hear life!

Take care;

Vincent
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

It sounds like maturity has finally caught up with DW and that she found it not so bad after all, even a relief.
It`s no secret that I`ve not been a fan for a long time but I`m genuinely pleased by what you`ve related.
Thanks.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I saw the Jools Holland show (that I mentioned above) that Dionne was on. There was a short interview with Jools and she sang "Make It Easy On Yourself" with Jools accompanying her on the piano. It sounded nice but the high notes are still tough for her. She also mentioned how upset she was about the fact that Burt promised that she would record "Make It Easy On Yourself," but then heard it on the radio (sung by Jerry Butler) and was very upset that Burt hadn't given her the song. Then she told the story about how she told Burt "Don't Make Me Over" (you all know that story by now) and said "That's how that song came about." So, she's still insisting that she said that to Burt. But Burt said that that story isn't true. She also disparaged Jerry Butler's voice. So, it seems to me, that for some reason she harbors some resentment at Jerry Butler! Jools also asked Dionne, "What advice would you give to young singers these day." And Dionne replied, "I don't give advice." I've heard her say that before, too. And then she gave a few reasons why she doesn't give advice, and quite frankly, her reasons made total sense to me. Dionne had the short blond hair style and she looked very good. The show had about 4 other guests, but I only watched her segment.

P.s. I think Jerry Butler is a terrific and fabulous singer and his version of "Make It Easy On Yourself" is awesome!
turnupthemusic

Post by turnupthemusic »

I wish I could see the interview - sadly I'm not in the US so I can't even purchase the show!

As for Dionne slowing down and wanting to call it quits, I'm sort of glad that she is. I think we all know Dionne's voice has been somewhat variable over the past few years but especially in the past year and a half almost all her performances I've seen have been croaky and she's been avoiding some higher notes - and I think her age is starting to take a more permanent toll on her vocals, she is 73 after all.

I hope she still has at least a little of that vocal magic left for some occasional performances though, if her voice gets some well-deserved rest. She's still been known to pull out some fantastic performances even a couple of years ago. In fact, more than anything I wish she still had the range to do some concerts with Burt again, but Burt's said himself he won't do it because she can't do them in the original key any more. It's a shame.
turnupthemusic

Post by turnupthemusic »

turnupthemusic wrote:I wish I could see the interview - sadly I'm not in the US so I can't even purchase the show!

As for Dionne slowing down and wanting to call it quits, I'm sort of glad that she is. I think we all know Dionne's voice has been somewhat variable over the past few years but especially in the past year and a half almost all her performances I've seen have been croaky and she's been avoiding some higher notes - and I think her age is starting to take a more permanent toll on her vocals, she is 73 after all.

I hope she still has at least a little of that vocal magic left for some occasional performances though, if her voice gets some well-deserved rest. She's still been known to pull out some fantastic performances even a couple of years ago. In fact, more than anything I wish she still had the range to do some concerts with Burt again, but Burt's said himself he won't do it because she can't do them in the original key any more. It's a shame.
And oddly, not long after posting this Dionne seems to have finally lowered the key in which she sings That's What Friends are For, only last month she was singing it in it's original key (see here 75 mins in alongside a great gospel performance at the end) which she has done for almost 30 years since. Must be one of the only songs she's kept singing in it's original key live.

The person who filmed this also filmed her singing I'll Never Love This Way Again - she seems to struggle through that one too recently - I think she'd try lowering the key in that too but I think that would make the main verses in the song too low for her to sing.
face

Post by face »

This interview has finally found its way to Youtube: Even though it contains many of her stock answers and stories, this interview comes across as one of her most honest and relaxed in a long time!
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

For some unknown reason - I totally missed this topic last year! .... Having spent time with Dionne on 2 different occasions (once here in San Diego and once in New Jersey) I found this interview with Dan Rather to reflect the same one on one sincerity that I experienced. .... Also had the pleasure of meeting her son David. ..... Throughout her career I was generally disappointed in the numerous "stock answer" interviews I've seen. ...... KUDOS to Dan Rather for delivering an interview that found Dionne sincere, open and reflective. ..... She has unquestionably experienced many personal and professional highs and lows throughout her life - yet has remained extremely resilient through it all! ........ I continue to wish her the "Very Best"!
face

Post by face »

I hope this doesn't sound mean, but the interview/write up that I'd love to see is the one that she refers to in her book as the one that turned her off to giving extensive interviews for years. She describes an interview ahead of her appearance at the Lincoln Center back in the 60s, explaining that the reporter followed her around for days, hung out with her friends and family, and then wrote a derogatory report of it all. I'm not interested in it because Dionne found it hurtful -- it's just that I have a feeling that it might be the most unfiltered profile that we've seen as fans, and that's why it holds interest for me. Dionne has always been so good at keeping her privacy that there is always a sense that the public Dionne and the private Dionne are two very different people, and sometimes, as a serious fan, I'd love to get a glimpse of the latter!