Hollywood Palace Remastered

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

spanisheyes

Hollywood Palace Remastered

Post by spanisheyes »

I am a Burt Bacharach collector & fan. I have recently undertook the huge task of restoring & remastering a few of his old TV clips & appearances, vintage footage that had incredibly poor, degraded, 50 year-old audio…

This is a 60's clip of Burt on "Hollywood Palace" performing a couple of classics. I used the rare Japanese pressings of Burt's albums from my personal collection to completely redub & remaster the audio, so you can now see & hear Burt's unique mix of instrumental pop, soul, brazilian, classical & jazz music in amazing sounding stereo, the way it was 50 years ago and the way it should always be. It took a very long time to match the audio to the speed of the old video footage, I hope you'll like it.

If people enjoy this, the next upload will be from "Together?", Jackie DeShannon.
blueonblue

Re: Hollywood Palace Remastered

Post by blueonblue »

spanisheyes,
Thank you, you've done a great job !
There's no one like Burt he's a "one off"... totally unique !
Let's hope someday they release all of his TV Special's on DVD ...one day perhaps ?

"blue"
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Spanish Eyes, I`m a bit confused. Although your work is superb, I`m left wondering if the original ABC broadcast used the Kapp and A&M recordings or
a live take.
In those days, both were equally possible.
I remember that the Airplane appeared on the Smothers Brothers show and played one song live, then lip-synced the next.
spanisheyes

Post by spanisheyes »

Hi Blair! Yes indeed, for this particular TV appearance, Burt definitely used the exact recordings from Hitmaker! & Reach Out: it was a lip-synched performance. You'll notice there is not a microphone in sight! "Always There" was only slightly shortened out during the broadcast...The hard part was syncing the audio (which I took and slightly edited from the Japanese remasters to match the length of the broadcast) to the video which was at varying speed because of the wear & tear.

Although it was a lip synched performance, like most on TV back then, I love the energy Burt has in this, and the crummy old audio frustrated me so I just applied the new remastered audio that the Japanese recently gave us. Actually this is very similar work to what you can see on all the Motown DVDs where the sound of the original video tapes was so poor, they dubbed the new remasters on them to allow for a better viewing experience. A lot of TV performances back then were lip synched so it's not that hard to do!