Dionne Boycotting "Stand Your Ground" States

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

face

Dionne Boycotting "Stand Your Ground" States

Post by face »

It looks like Dionne has joined her friend Stevie Wonder in refusing to perform in any state that has "Stand Your Ground" or similar laws in the wake of the George Zimmerman verdict. I think it's a lovely symbolic gesture, especially coming on the heels of her bankruptcy filing. However, looking at a map of the effected states, it probably won't really impact her touring schedule very much, as she seems to spend little time in those areas anyway. Nonetheless, it's good to see that Dionne still has some fight left in her. She's never hesitated to speak up and out! Her message is below:

Hello All

it has been a while (i know) so i will try to make up for lost time.............we are still on tour and it seems as if it will never end...........is it me or is the world getting LARGER???..........all is going very well we have been to Iceland where nobody told it that it is SUMMER....it truly lives up to its name........from there we went to Poland and again SUMMER eluded there too..........we are now in SWELTERING JAPAN but it is a welcome change and we head for Manila in the morning............i am in the process of recording a duets cd and it has been wonderful working with my peers and a few very talented young stars..........i will keep those who participated a secret for the time being but will fill you in once all of the recording has been done.........i think you will be rather surprised but very pleased when i drop the names of those on the project......i am certain most if not all of you have been bombarded with CNN and the news of the Trayvon Martin/George Zimmerman trial and i must say i was stunned at the verdict of NOT GUILTY........it took a while for this to settle in my brain since Zimmerman admitted killing this youngster.........my very dear friend Stevie Wonder has decided to keep his incredible talent from those states that carry the "Stand Your Ground" law here in the United States (30) of them and i am going to join him as i feel as seriously concerned as he does that we have to start caring more about each other and conversing with regard to the values we ALL should share with regards to our lives and the well being of each other.............it's really a shame that we feel the need to have to carry a weapon to feel safe around each other.............i will miss those states that have supported my career for these past 50 years but i feel absolutely compelled to show solidarity with Stevie showing him he is not alone in feeling the way he does..........we in the entertainment world have always been the ones who looked at PEACEFUL WAYS THROUGH OUR MUSIC and again i feel the absence of our MUSIC in those places that in reality have (in my opinion) no true regard for the preservation of life, and equality for all RACES, CREEDS, RELIGIONS, AND COLORS should take a step FORWARD, not BACKWARD and realize, as i was taught, WE ARE ALL HERE FOR THE PURPOSE OF TAKING CARE OF ONE ANOTHER and not to bring DISPARE AND HARM...........please know that this is my TRUE feeling and hope we can as the song says "PUT A LITTLE LOVE IN OUR HEARTS"
please continue to take good care of yourselves and know that i truly LOVE ALL OF YOU.

TOGETHER WE COLLECTIVELY CAN MAKE CHANGE AND I BELIEVE WE WILL!!!

Dionne.