"Hush" et, al. from Some Lovers

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

"Hush" et, al. from Some Lovers

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I just listened to this song and it confirmed for me my evaluation of the larger project: it`s just not very good. Everything I`ve heard from this doomed bummer makes me wish for its speedy burial. These songs "just miss it" in the way that the Bayer-Sager collaborations did.
Forget Broadway; it`s been moribund for decades. It exists in memory the way the old, indigenous Times Square does for those of us old-timers. (I
haven`t been called "My man" or offered "loose joints, acid, speed" for seemingly aeons).
Set "Elvis Costello" loose on Burt again with just another album of songs in mind and I`ll bet we`ll all be much happier.
pljms

Re: "Hush" et, al. from Some Lovers

Post by pljms »

Out of the three songs I've heard from 'Some Lovers' ('Every Other Hour', 'Hush' and the title song) I think 'Every Other Hour' has the most potential for durability and is probably the best thing I've heard from Bacharach since 'Painted from Memory'. A good sign was that all the people I spoke to after the Festival Hall concert were as taken with the song on first hearing as I was, helped no doubt by Josie James's wonderful performance. However, whether it's the greatest song ever written by an octogenarian I couldn't begin to hazard an opinion!
Paul
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Karima, Mario and the Maestro........bellissima !

"blue"
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Thanks for posting that, Blue. 'Every Other Hour' sounds beautiful in Italian as well as English and, best of all, has a lot of the traits of a 'classic Bacharach' song. Pljms, I'm wracking my brains trying to think of all those great songs written by octogenarians!
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

I remember first seeing the video of 'Every Other Hour' sung in both Italian and English in 2009 which means the song predates the production of the 'Some Lovers' musical by at least two years. Apparently Karima's recording of it went Top 10 in italy and I'm sure given a high profile singer (Adele?) it would do the same worldwide.
David_Noble

Post by David_Noble »

Here is Karima's original music video (2009) -

To me it sounds like it was a Bacharach arrangement too.

"Come In Ogni Ora" translates as "Come in Every Time" according to Google.

Dave