The maestro in Edinburgh

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Alistair

The maestro in Edinburgh

Post by Alistair »

Just back from Burt's concert at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh last night (the 29th). A nearly full auditorium welcomed Mr. Bacharach back to Edinburgh for the fourth time - he mentioned his visit to the Edinburgh Festival way back in 1964 (and 1965) as conductor for Marlene Dietrich.
Always good to hear his excellent singers in great voice - the highlight for me was John Pagano's show-stopping rendition of "Any Day Now", but so good to also hear the little-known (until now!) "Waiting For Charlie To Come Home", sung by Donna Taylor which brought the audience to its feet for a standing ovation (just one of many!). Josie James by now legendary performance of "Anyone Who Had a Heart" also got a tremendous reception. it was great to see Burt so relaxed and he seemed to be loving all the adulation from the enthusiastic audience.
Another highlight was the "film music" section of the show - which always brings applause after nearly every number. Good to hear "My Little Red Book" sung by Burt's MD - and a delight to see Oliver, Burt's son on keyboards for a brief period, too. Burt seems to love having him on the tour.
One slight cavil - my partner seemed to find the sound levels a little too loud, but this seems to be one of the things you have to put up with these days - the drums were amplified really loudly.
But as an emotional experience the evening could not have been bettered. I would have loved to have waited after the show and tried to speak to Burt, just as I did way back in 1964 and 1965, but it was late, and there was no guarantee I would get the chance.
Alistair
Alistair

Re: The maestro in Edinburgh

Post by Alistair »

Meant to include the fact that Burt mentioned during the Edinburgh concert that he is writing a musical based on the "Painted From Memory" album. He and Elvis Costello are writing some new songs for it as well.
Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere?
Alistair
Martin Johnson

Re: The maestro in Edinburgh

Post by Martin Johnson »

Yes it has, Alistair. BB seemed very excited at the prospect of writing more songs with Elvis Costello when he talked about the musical during the Festival Hall concert last week. This is a man who refuses to rest on his laurels!