Extended Versions of Bacharach/David/Warwick Songs?

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

MexicanDivorce

Extended Versions of Bacharach/David/Warwick Songs?

Post by MexicanDivorce »

Hi,

maybe anyone knows, if there are extended versions of some Warwick/Bacharach/David songs are available?

Thank you for all support and help.
Presenting Cissy Houston
vocals on "Mexican Divorce" by Cissy Houston
Blair N. Cummings

Re: Extended Versions of Bacharach/David/Warwick Songs?

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I`ve never run across any. Given, also, the utter absence of "alternate takes"on Bacharach and Warwick re-issues I assume that Burt`s iron "Quality Control" has seen to it that there never will be.
If I`m wrong, you can be sure I`ll be corrected. As they say, "Watch this space."
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

There are alternate takes of Who Is Gonna Love Me, Here Where There Is Love, A House is Not a Home, Do You Know the Way to San Jose, In Between the Heartaches and a couple of others which escape me now. Who is Gonna Love Me alternate take has appeared in a couple of English compilations, Here Where There Is Love may not be an alternate take but has a bridge edited out of the middle in all versions except the long version on Rhino's Love Songs. A House is Not a Home on the Rhino compilation Her All-time Greatest Hits is different than the version on the Greatest Motion Picture Hits as well as Make Way for Dionne Warwick. I heard an alternate take of San Jose on a tribute television show about 15 years ago. According to David Nathan, there are several tunes where no alternate take exists such as Alfie, Anyone Who Had A Heart and I'll Never Fall in Love Again because they were caught in one take. Others, such as Walk On By, there were upwards of 20 takes...the keeper on Walk On By was either take 8 or 16, can't remember but Dionne's performance on tunes where there were multiple takes were always unique and a little different. I suspect the long version of Let Me Go to Him was a duplication of the orchestral instrumental to make the tune longer much as was done for This Girl's In Love With You which appears in various compilations in both short versions and a version well over five minutes long.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I'm shocked to read that Burt ever did just one take of any song -- even with Dionne -- knowing Burt's perfectionism where he always wants you to "make it just a little bit better." How on earth did he do "AWHAH" in just one take??? Now THAT'S amazing!
MexicanDivorce

Post by MexicanDivorce »

Thank`s very much for the answers. Where can I find the long version of "Let me go to him" on CD? I remember I watch in an Ed Sullivan Show a performance by Dionne Warwick of "Walk on by", the song was a little longer, because she danced with the people together it was very amazing, excists this version of the song on CD?

Thank you for all support and answers
Presenting Cissy Houston
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

In the Land of Make Believe was recorded in the same session as Walk On By and Anyone Who Had A Heart. Both Make Believe and Walk On By had taken up the majority of the session because Burt got upwards of 20 or more takes on each tune. According to accounts from Burt, Hal, Dionne and others, there was only enough time left in the session to record a bare few takes of Anyone Who Had A Heart and legend has it that it was a one take keeper. It was a fairly rare thing for Burt not to do quite a few takes with Dionne but that was not always the case and in later years, there were fewer takes. One extreme example of multiple takes was Burt did close to 30 takes of Dionne's version of I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself, but that was a rare thing. The norm for them was usually 3-8 takes. Walk the Way You Talk was captured in one take and there is a mistake early in the tune in the first chorus when Dionne sings "walk the way you walk and talk the way you walk" which was extremely unusual for this to get by Burt or Hal. Some singers Burt worked with required take after take after take. When Patti LaBelle recorded On My Own, there were many takes because Patti was taking too many liberties with the tune. And knowing what an extreme showboater Patti is, I don't know how Burt managed to get through the session with her but she really had to tone it down to get the take Burt was happy with.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Hi MexicanDivorce, The 4:43 version of "Let Me Go To Him" that I talked about in another post was found on vinyl, not cd. The original, shorter version is on the "Promises, Promises/I'll Never fall in Love Again" and "The Essential Dionne Warwick" cds. Sorry I can't be of more help. Youtube has the original version, too.
MexicanDivorce

Post by MexicanDivorce »

Thank you for all the help and the info. I can´t understand that on the new Dionne Warwick releases 2013, on the Scepter sessions there are no alternate takes of songs included, that´s sad.
Presenting Cissy Houston
MexicanDivorce

Post by MexicanDivorce »

Another question, where I can find Dionne´s version of "Everybody`s out of town" ??????
Presenting Cissy Houston
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

This track seems to still be missing along with her alleged version of "I Took My Strength from You".
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

MexicanDivorce, If you're a fan of classic Motown, there is a 4cd box set, "The Motown Box" (2005, Shout Factory) that has many extended versions of their great catalogue. For example, a 4 minute version of Smokey Robinson & Miracles "The Tracks of My Tears", 3 1/2 minute versions of The Four Tops "I Can't Help Myself", The Supremes "Love is like an Itching In My Heart" and a 5 minute (!) version of Marvin Gaye's, "I Heard It Through the Grapevine".

Tom Moulton (a legend for his great remixes during the disco heyday) also contributes some mixes, too. A revelation, to hear these unedited versions of familiar classic singles. quite a box set!
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Thanks grooverider for sharing that! I too am a huge fan of extended versions, remixes, rarities, alternate takes, and outtakes. I have quite a collection of CD's that include these type of recordings i.e. extended versions of Hall & Oates' "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)", Aretha's "Rock Steady", David Bowie's "Let's Dance", and the Stones' "Miss You" just to name a few. I would like to become a radio DJ so that I could share my eclectic collection with the world. I even have alternate takes of Otis Redding's "Sittin' On The Dock of The Bay"! Hope I can find that Motown Box Set of which you're speaking and hope it includes songs by Mary Wells, Chris Clark, and the fabulous Brenda Holloway. I recently purchased a CD entitled "Finders Keepers-Motown Girls 1961-1967" on the Ace label. There are 24 tracks, 12 of which are unissued masters from the vaults. Long live the CD!
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Bruce, Would love to hear those extended versions of yours, esp. Hall & Oates "I Can't Go For That", one of their best and Bowie's "Let's Dance'. Does that Motown cd have any songs from Kim Weston?? She was so overlooked by them, what a great voice. The cd reissue label, HIp-O Select, does an outstanding job reissuing those long ago great Motown (and other labels, too) albums. They can be quite expensive as many of them are limited editions, but they have outtakes, extended and/or alternate takes and the annotation and info given are very interesting reading. If interested, go to Hip-O Select's web site for additional info. Art
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Grooverider: There's only one Kim Weston song on the CD: "It's Too Soon To Know" written by Deborah Chessler, the 1947 debut hit for the Orioles. Pat Boone had a hit with it in 1958. This was Kim's first jazz session with Mickey Stevenson and was recorded in New York. Kim happens to be one of my favorites as well. On her Motown Anthology collection, there's an alternate take of "Take Me In Your Arms (Rock Me A Little While)". My all-time Kim Weston release is "Thrill A Moment"--the epitome of that distinctive Motown Sound. Others appearing on "Finders Keepers" are: The Velvelettes, Brenda Holloway, Gladys Knight & The Pips, Martha & The Vandellas, The Marvelettes, LaBrenda Ben, Mary Wells, Thelma Brown, The Andantes, The Supremes, Carolyn Crawford, Saundra Mallett & The Vandellas, Hattie Littles, The Miracles, The Vells, Anita Knorl, Linda Griner, and Liz Lands (who really sings her ass off on Hamilton Bohannon's albums). All in all, this collection is one to have as it uncovers Motown's finest vocal performances from the vaults.
MexicanDivorce

Post by MexicanDivorce »

Thank you for all these recomments. The Motown Box-Set has a version of "Reach out I´ll be there" over 4 Min. long and extended versions of "My guy" and "Please Mr. Postmann" arround 03:00 Min and "Heatwave" 03:43. On the Kim Weston Anthology you can find "Helpless" with an extra verse. On the CD 50th Anniversary by Martha Reeves and The Vandellas you can find the original version of "I can´t dance to that music you´re playin´" without Syreeta and an extended Version of "Dancing in the street" 03:20 Min.

I´m happy with my new CD "Wir lieben Bacharach", a collection of german versions, including the german version of "The wine is young". I have the italian song book, is a french songbook also available until now I haven´t find anything in the internet, I have only a few tracks by Sheila and Nancy Holloway (Tu me plais).

I´m curoius about the Connie Francies Cd sings Burt Bacharach, this one has a high recommondation, but it´s very expensive.
Presenting Cissy Houston