Let Me Go To Him

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

grooverider

Let Me Go To Him

Post by grooverider »

Listening to the Time Life vinyl "The Legendary Dionne Warwick" I thought it was a misprint in the timing for "Let Me Go To Him" at 4:43. I was surprised to hear the orchestra fade and then come back in, making it the 4:43 time. I had only heard the shorter version on the "Promises, Promise/I'll Never Fall In Love Again" cd, where the orchestra fades out. Even in 1969, it seems a little out of place (at least for Ms. Warwick) to release a song that long. (I know, "Mac Arthur Park" pushed the boundaries of 45 rpm length.)
What a great song, too bad it never became a hit.
Is this longer version the original version?? This same Time Life compilation has the shorter version of "This Girl's In Love With You", BTW.
Blair N. Cummings

Re: Let Me Go To Him

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I`d like to hear a 4;40 version of this song. The original comes in at 3:55 concluding with a string quartet. Maybe another take was given to the compilers of your package.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Always one of my favorites and an unappreciated gem!
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

steveo_1965 wrote:Always one of my favorites and an unappreciated gem!
Mine, too. Never out of my top 10. And I'll never forget getting the sheet music for the song and the joy I had playing it for the first time. And I think Let Me Go To Him might have been Dionne's greatest performance. She had it all happening then. Oh, the joy I had in those days waiting for the next Burt/Hal song and going to The Colony and getting the sheet music. Simple pleasures long past! And The Colony closed, too, after all those years. Pity. I love the internet and wouldn't change it for anything -- especially youtube. But it killed a lot of businesses.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Blair, As far as I know this 4:43 version is only available on vinyl, not in digital format. This song is not on many compilations, vinyl or digital. But this longer version makes me wonder, did someone at Time Life just decide to add on the extra coda, and for what reason, and why this song in particular?? What would Burt Bacharach think of someone doing this to his song??
Steve, yes, I agree, an unappreciated gem! Thanks to all for your input.