Burt in New York city May 6, 2013

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

vincent.cole

Burt in New York city May 6, 2013

Post by vincent.cole »

Burt @ Barnes & Nobles!!!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/anyone- ... 0062206060

Take care;

Vincent
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: Burt in New York city May 6, 2013

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Thanks for the link, Vincent. (Sure! As soon as you move away, Burt comes here! Bad timing for sure.)

Vincent, I don't see where it says that Burt will be here for a signing.

Here is what one reviewer wrote -- and it's exactly what I was afraid of:

"Though he’s clearly a gifted songwriter, Bacharach as a memoirist disappoints. While Bacharach, writing with Greenfield, certainly has a story to tell (he was married to Angie Dickinson; toured with Marlene Dietrich; wrote mega-hits like “Walk on By” and “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ on My Head”; won Grammys and Oscars), he’s in too much of a hurry to get to the end of his book to really dig in and tell readers what it was like to cut his teeth in the infamous Brill Building, work with (and sever ties with) his frequent collaborator Hal David, or even address his daughter’s battle with Asperger’s and depression that led her to commit suicide; he prefers to let Angie Dickinson and others do most of the talking. Bacharach spends more time talking about his tennis game and various marriages than his approach to songwriting (much more detail is given to who he worked with on a particular song than the song itself) . Moments of humility and candor, such as a blown opportunity to work with Sinatra, peek through, but it’s not enough to save what could have been an illuminating work on many levels."
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

An Enormous BB Fan;

Burt will be @ Barnes & Nobles on 86 and Lex! Google 'Burt Bacharach May 6, 2013!'

Burt will also be in Ridgewood New Jersey on May 8, 2013, I will go to that one!

Take care mon ami.

Vincent
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Exactly what I was expecting, too, Enormous. I`ll be back in the city in a couple weeks and may find a cheap review copy at the Strand. Otherwise, I`ll wait for a library copy to be available.
Burt has never been articulate about what he does and the past must just seem like what it is: the irretrievable past.
As I stated recently here, we should be happy to have been around when it all happened. That`s worth a thousand ghost-written "memoirs."
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

KIRKUS REVIEW

Reminiscences of a master songwriter.

Compiled from interviews conducted by journalist Greenfield (The Last Sultan: The Life and Times of Ahmet Ertegun, 2011, etc.) with Bacharach and his associates, this oral memoir provides a congenial overview of a life devoted to music. Bacharach began reluctantly taking piano lessons as a child, then became smitten with classical and jazz compositions; they would later inspire him to bring a sophisticated palette to his own songs. After a few unspectacular years at the Brill Building, he hit the jackpot with lyricist Hal David; the two went on to create such iconic hits as “Baby, It’s You” for the Shirelles, “The Look of Love” for Dusty Springfield and “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head” for B.J. Thomas. Bacharach candidly details his transformation into a household name, his perfectionism in the recording studio and his sometimes-contentious relationships with David and the indomitable Dionne Warwick. The chanteuse acted as a muse for the pair and was aggrieved when they broke up their songwriting partnership after the colossal failure of their score for the 1973 box office bomb Lost Horizon. For decades, breaking up relationships was a specialty of Bacharach’s; many of the women in his life, including his first three wives, describe him as exuding a combination of ambition, ambivalence and arrogance. The most moving recollections come from Marlene Dietrich, who highly valued Bacharach as her conductor and accompanist on the road, and from ex-wife Angie Dickinson, who laments Bacharach’s decision to institutionalize their autistic daughter, Nikki. The specter of Nikki (who committed suicide in 2007) casts a shadow over the memoir. Whether Greenfield has purposely arranged the book this way or not, intertwining Dickinson’s interviews with Bacharach’s commentary paints a darker picture of the man whom most people identify with catchy love songs and cameo appearances in the Austin Powers films.

Illuminating and gritty, though Bacharach's remarks are occasionally self-serving.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

BachtoBacharach wrote: .....he hit the jackpot with lyricist Hal David; the two went on to create such iconic hits as “Baby, It’s You” for the Shirelles, “The Look of Love” for Dusty Springfield and “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head” for B.J. Thomas.
I hate to quibble, but Hal did not write the lyric to "Baby, It's You." It just so happens that Burt wrote that song with Hal's brother, Mack David -- along with Luther Dixon (aka Barney Williams).
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

So many reviewers get that wrong, don't they. Many reviewers also used to attribute Theme From Valley of the Dolls to Burt and Hal instead of Andre and Dory Previn too.
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

Thanks for posting this, Vincent. There are going to be quite a few book-related appearances in the coming weeks, including talks, Q&As, signings and media appearances. I just posted an announcement about the New York and New Jersey appearances on the main page, but I should have known you'd be one step ahead of me on it.

Just wanted to put in a reminder to check the homepage occasionally. The forum is usually a couple of steps ahead of the homepage in terms of breaking news, but hopefully I'll be able to scoop you at least once in the next couple of months. :)
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Mark;

I have a rooster that gets up very early (lol)!

I know you will out scoop me!

Take care mon ami.

Vincent
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Mr. Bacharach will appear for a book talk at the Alex Theatre in Glendale, CA. on Tuesday, May 14th @ 8:00. Moderating will be Mitch Albom.
Linda S

Post by Linda S »

Glad to join forum ... I am also one of Burt's biggest fans and have been for 40 plus years ... And Burt knows how much I admire him . My two favorite songs are THE APRIL FOOLS AND THE LOOK OF LOVE . Very excited to see Burt tomorrow and read his book .
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Linda S;

Welcome to the Burt Bacharach Forum!

Hey it took you awhile, but we are happy you joined (lol)!

Take care;

Vincent