Bert Bacharach's book

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

harrymcc

Bert Bacharach's book

Post by harrymcc »

I suspect that most of the people who read this forum are aware that Burt's father, Bert Bacharach, was a well-known columnist. I was. And for some reason, I assumed he wrote about showbiz-type stuff. But I recently stumbled across his 1970 book How to Do Almost Everything at a second-hand book sale. It turns out that it consists entirely of thousands of Hints From Heloise-style tips on dress, housekeeping, cooking and more. I've attached the front and back covers to this post.

Bert doesn't LOOK much like Burt -- at least in this photo -- but perhaps his interests in grooming, sports, and general living of the good life rubbed off on his even more famous son.
Attachments
bertbacharach.jpg
bertbacharach.jpg (222.95 KiB) Viewed 4592 times
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: Bert Bacharach's book

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Isn't it odd that he named his son Burt but not Bert? Be that as it may, Bert must have been quite a guy. It's not so easy to be that successful and have your column distributed all over the country. Average people just don't get that far, do they? He must have passed all that hard work and drive onto his son, I would imagine. And I never knew that Burt's mother, Irma, was a painter. What an exceptional and talented family!

P.s. I'm glad that Burt didn't get Bert's looks! :-)
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

An Enormous BB Fan wrote:Isn't it odd that he named his son Burt but not Bert? Be that as it may, Bert must have been quite a guy. It's not so easy to be that successful and have your column distributed all over the country. Average people just don't get that far, do they? He must have passed all that hard work and drive onto his son, I would imagine. And I never knew that Burt's mother, Irma, was a painter. What an exceptional and talented family!

P.s. I'm glad that Burt didn't get Bert's looks! :-)
LOL !!!

"blue"
Shemp9971

Post by Shemp9971 »

I bought a copy of his book at Barnes and Noble on Tuesday. I would just like to say that, as an autistic adult who also has Asperger's that it isn't Burt's fault that he ended up having to institutionalize his daughter Nikki. No one knew about autism in those days, particularly the general public. I was in special education until the fourth grade. My folks intervened early when I was six years old, enrolling me in a place known as Washburn Child Guidance Center in my hometown of Minneapolis, Minnesota U.S.A.