New....

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Roberto Pinardi

New....

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

.....Bacharach-Sater Song?????

Bye
Rob
Blair N. Cummings

Re: New....

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I like this a lot better than most of what I heard from Some Lovers.
Blair N. Cummings

I have one further thought now that I`m awake (I heard this shortly after 5:00 a. m.): Has Sater been in NYC since, oh, 1977? Unless this is a "situational" song from a period piece, the lyric has all the contemporaneity of Studio 54 and the Mudd Club. Great Bacharach melody, `though, as I opined above.
Blair N. Cummings

I can`t believe that out of (as I ineptly type) 40 viewers of this, no one has yet had a word to say.
Well, I have a third: Who asked these guys to Emma`s right to attempt to maintain their dignity through a presentation that required them not at all? I feel bad for them.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

After just one listen, I think it's very catchy. And it's very Burt Bacharach sounding! It's not the best recording (sound-wise) and it certainly is missing the phenomenal arrangement that Burt will have at the recording session. But, given this taste, I'm very happy with what I heard. Well, it is Burt, after all! And I agree with Blair about the guy's standing to Emma's right. For me, any new music by Burt is reason for celebration!
Hank

Post by Hank »

Scary stuff - Stoops draped with bodies....and cups of coffee....help !
Blair - I'm surprised you're not more receptive to the Some Lovers songs. I think you're a fan of Painted From Memory and to me Every Other Hour (Come in Ogni Ora) (especially as performed by Karima) sounds like it would be perfectly at home on that album. In fact it sounds to me like a sister song to God Give Me Strength.
Blair N. Cummings

I very much wanted to like the Some Lovers material but only one or two didn`t sound second-rate to me. I wrote a while back that Sater was a little too star-struck to kick Burt`s ass the way "Elvis Costello" did in order to produce the PFM classics.
I`d be interested to know the provenance of this song, `though. Was it commissioned for this revue at Joe`s Pub or was it in the drawer? Anyone?
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

The organizers of the "Once Upon a Time in New York City" benefit concert series (of which this was the second) invite young and established musical theatre composers and lyricists to contribute songs about NYC. Galt MacDermot and Charles Strouse are among the other writers who have contributed. I suspect that the event's organizers reached out to Steven Sater who in turn had the wisdom to approach Burt. In any event, the song likely was written expressly for the benefit, and I'm very glad that it was! :-)

Best,

Joe
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

nymusicalsguy wrote:The organizers of the "Once Upon a Time in New York City" benefit concert series (of which this was the second) invite young and established musical theatre composers and lyricists to contribute songs about NYC. Galt MacDermot and Charles Strouse are among the other writers who have contributed. I suspect that the event's organizers reached out to Steven Sater who in turn had the wisdom to approach Burt. In any event, the song likely was written expressly for the benefit, and I'm very glad that it was! :-)

Best,

Joe
Interest fact (perhaps): Burt, Galt and Charles were all born in 1928. These are 3 awesome composers!