Lisa Carroll "Don't Count The Days"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

grooverider

Lisa Carroll "Don't Count The Days"

Post by grooverider »

Reading a Q & A with singer Lisa Carroll in Record Collector magazine (Jan. 2013 issue) she stated this about recording "Don't Count the Days":

"It was my first release. They presented the song to me and, for the b-side, anything written by Burt Bacharach would have to be a success, especially since his parents were my dearest friends. I think it sold well. That was a funny situation as [Burt's parents] were always trying to fix me up with their son between his many marriages, but it never worked out. They wanted me for a daughter-in-law. Every time he got divorced, they would ring me and say, "Now's the time!" But by then, I'd be off singing somewhere."

The Q & A is about a single released in England on July 23, 1969, "You Made Me What I Am". The b-side is the Bacharach/David song. The A-side was written by Tony Hatch & Jackie Trent. I'm not familiar with Lisa Carroll or the song. Apparently this single was the only single released by Ms. Carroll in England. Anyone have any additonal info about the song & the singer?
nymusicalsguy

Re: Lisa Carroll "Don't Count The Days"

Post by nymusicalsguy »

"Don't Count the Days" is a terrific Bacharach/David composition with a bit of the feel of "Knowing When to Leave" to it. It was recorded twice in 1968, but alas, neither rendition had Burt's involvement. Charlie Calello arranged it for Marilyn Michaels on ABC-Paramount, and Lex DeAzevedo produced it with a Gene Page arrangement for Sandi and Salli on Capitol. I'm not familiar with the Lisa Carroll record, but I'd love to hear it! (The Hatch/Trent A-side was introduced by Mark Wynter and also recorded by Samantha Sang.)
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Take care;

Vincent
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

This is a song I wish Jackie DeShannon had done. Melodically, it would have been a cinch for her and Hal`s lyric ( like that for "Lifetime of Loneliness") is in adolescent hysteria mode. Add a Bacharach arrangement and it might have clicked.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Thank you, Blair, Vincent and nymusicalsguy for all the great input and information. Blair, yes, Ms. De Shannon would have been great on this song. Too bad she never did a full album with Bacharach & David. One can only imagine...
Blair N. Cummings

Another reason for unearthing the Lisa Carroll recording would be to hear the arrangement. Charlie Calello arranged Laura Nyro`s breakthrough album (Eli and the Thirteenth Confession) that same year of `68 as well as her disappointing "comeback" album, Smile.
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Blair, The picture in the magazine shows that Keith Mansfield did the arranging on the "A" side. No picture of the "B" side, can assume that Mr. Mansfield did the arranging on the BB/HD song, too?? Not too familiar with Keith Mansfield, will google that name.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Although it's been mentioned once or twice, I don't think Sandi and Salli's recording of 'Don't Count the Days' has ever been available on Youtube to post on the forum, until now that is. It's less frantic than the Marilyn Michaels version and I prefer it. It was arranged by Gene Page:

Blair N. Cummings

Thanks, Martin. I agree, the slightly relaxed tempo and lack of histrionics make a nice alternative to the Michaels version although I always enoyed that too.