Petula Clark "True Love Never Runs Smooth

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

vincent.cole

Petula Clark "True Love Never Runs Smooth

Post by vincent.cole »

Enjoy.

Take care;

Vincent
steveo_1965

Re: Petula Clark "True Love Never Runs Smooth

Post by steveo_1965 »

Vince,
Pet always gives a song something special, and this is no exception...she does the tune very well.....the arrangers also stuck to Burt's original concept....
very nice rendition...

Steveo
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

This is great; especially because I always loved Pet Clark back in the day and (now it can be told) always abhorred Gene Pitney`s voice.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Catchy "Bacharach-style" song from Pet's superb album "Conversations In The Wind"
Composed by Tony Hatch and Jackie Trent.

"blue"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Blair,
Genes voice was different all right... you either loved it or hated it..(I lliked it,
but not to listen to all the time)
Blue, you are right, Tony and JAckie are geniuses...
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Blair:
I've gotta give Pitney an enthusiastic "thumbs up". ....... His early recordings of 4 or 5 BB songs along with Dionne's early BB recordings made me a Bacharach fan before I ever even heard Burt Bacharach's name or knew who he was. Gene Pitney's "Big16" albums (volumes 1 and 2) were amongst my favorites back in the 60's. ....... "Fool Killer" remains one of my favorite BB songs!
Ron.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I also liked how Gene Pitney sang the Bacharach/David songs that he did. "24 Hours From Tulsa" is not an easy song to sing and Gene sang it so well. If I recall correctly, Gene's producer and Burt didn't get along, so their relationship (Burt and Gene) came to an end. It was a pity, too.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Ron Hertel,
Fool Killer was one of my favorites,, and I told Burt so...he laffed and said, "well youre the only one who probably remembers it..."

Steveo
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Steveo!
Burt was wrong - there are at least 2 of us! ........ Another all but forgotten gem from 1963 - "Be True To Yourself" by Bobby Vee. ..... A quote from Bobby Vee re: that song ... "Burt Bacharach pretty much took charge of that session. He played piano on it and and I remember him wishing he had his horn player from New York with him. It was really on the edge of my range and I did all I could do to sing the song. Their songs were like that. It has a great lyric and Hal David is still one of my favorite lyricists. It always surprised me that someone else hasn't redone the song." ........... This quote is taken from the liner notes of Bobby's 1990 CD release from EMI's Legendary Masters series (containing his 25 most memorable recordings)
Ron
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

One more.............

"blue"
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Blue,
Thank you...nice copy...and Ron Hertel...thanks for the information!