UK FANS! Bacharach Concert at St James, London

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

BobznBits

UK FANS! Bacharach Concert at St James, London

Post by BobznBits »

Who loves Burt Bacharach? We all do right?! Good.

St James Theatre in Victoria (London) have just announced a Bacharach concert performed entirely by west end musical theatre stars! Its on 19th January - £20 a ticket. I just booked mine, and I think its selling pretty well, so might be worth getting in touch fairly soon. Box office number is : 0844 264 2140

I shall see you there, hopefully. If youre coming, maybe let me know and we can say hi!
someonenameddavid

Re: UK FANS! Bacharach Concert at St James, London

Post by someonenameddavid »

Well you probably will get the real thing later this year
:-) David
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Thanks for informing us of this show. Theatre types doing Bacharach's hit songs can't compare to the originals, of course, but if the MD/Arranger is sympathetic towards the music then it should be an enjoyable evening. Hope to see you there too, Sara.

Martin
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

I live only round the corner from the venue, Martin, literally staggering distance, so 'll be there with one husband and one daughter. Looking forward to meeting you again and maybe one or two other London based members of this site.
nowmedical

Post by nowmedical »

Sara et al, how did it go?
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Enthusiastic review from Broadwayworld...Complete with a (well-deserved) stab at Cilla Black...

http://westend.broadwayworld.com/articl ... 3-20130120
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

It was my first time at the venue and it reminded me of several jazz clubs that I've been to: A basement studio with a bar, a balcony and about 40 tables, perfect for small group jazz and what turned out to be a cabaret tribute to Burt Bacharach. Let's face it the performers and musicians would have to pretty poor for any show containing almost thirty songs composed by Bacharach not to be highly enjoyable and I think it's wonderful that a tribute like this to the Great man is put on by people born years and in some cases decades after his 60s hey-day. That said, the show was undoubtedly ragged at times and seemingly under-rehearsed, especially in a couple of the duets and in the lyric remembering department in general. The four musicians were made up of the standard rhythm section (piano, bass and drums) plus a cellist (!), so we were hearing the songs very much in the raw and without the trademark arrangements/orchestrations. Although her voice was probably the most fragile of the five singers, it was Stephanie Fearon who was most at home with the material, especially the more wistful of the ballads and she gave very touching renditions of 'Close to You', 'Trains and Boats and Planes', 'One Less Bell to Answer', 'A House is Not a Home' and a very subtle and nuanced 'Reach Out for Me'. At the other end of the scale, the more than slightly OTT Sandra Marvin beat nearly every song she sang into submission and her histrionics at the end of 'Anyone Who Had a Heart' had me nearly cowering under the table! The third female vocalist, Alana Maria, impressed in a solo rendition of 'On My Own' and a wonderfully spirited 'Tower Of Strength'. Yes, it was unusual to hear that song sung by a woman and it was not the only instance of gender switching in the show and while Edward Baruwa was very convincing in 'Alfie', Ross William Wild was less so in 'Walk On By'. I have to say the song selection showed more imagination than has been the case with all the other BB tribute shows that I've attended and other songs included that nearly always seem to get over-looked were 'Message to Michael', 'Don't Make Me Over', 'Only Love Can Break a Heart, 'You'll Never Get to Heaven' and, most surprising of all, 'God Give Me Strength' and 'This House is Empty Now'. The full running order:

Short intro: What the World Needs Now (solo piano)
Message to Michael
Wives and lovers
Wishin' and Hopin'
Raindrops
Arthur's Theme
The Look of Love
You'll Never Get to Heaven
Only Love Can Break a Heart
Twenty-Four Hours From Tulsa
This Guy's In Love (one verse only)
Reach Out for Me
San Jose'
Trains and Boats and Planes
Anyone Who Had a Heart

Interval

Alfie
Don't Make Me Over
Close to You
God Give Me Strength
I'll Never Fall In Love Again
Tower Of Strength
On My Own
One Less Bell
A House Is Not a Home
Walk on By
This House is Empty now
I Just Don't Know What to do With Myself
There's Always Something There to Remind me
I Say a Little Prayer
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

I echo everything in Martin's review adding that if they repeat the show any time soon they perform all of 'This Guy's in Love With You' and, more importantly, allow for more rehearsal time! Yes, the choice of songs was superb, just as much for what they didn't do as for what they did, and I can't remember being at any other entertainment recently where there were so many happy, smiley faces, during the show and at the end.
Martin Johnson

Post by Martin Johnson »

Yes, you do tend to see nothing but happy faces at shows dedicated to BB's songs - let's call it the 'Bacharach Affect'. Due to it's undoubted popularity I wouldn't be at all surprised if the show is put on at the venue again and soon.

Martin
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Knowing what Burt's music should sound like (based, of course, on knowing Burt's orchestrations), I cringe when I hear amateurs or second-rate professionals sing Burt's songs with crappy voices and horrible arrangements where the correct chords aren't even used. I'd rather not hear it at all. I'm not even talking about this show. I'm talking about what I see on youtube most of the time. Burt's genius has spoiled me. Earlier I was on youtube listening to someone sing "Anyone Who Had A Heart" and it was just god-awful. Of course, I clicked the video off quickly before it caused my eardrums to bleed.
someonenameddavid

Post by someonenameddavid »

You are getting the real thing next June 26, I told you so....
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
pljms

Post by pljms »

Unfortunately I was out of the UK last weekend so I missed the show. Yes, the set-list looks terrific with several intriguing choices, not least the fact that one of the women sang 'A Tower of Strength'! Let's hope the show gets a quick revival and it happens when I'm in London.
Paul