Dionne still 2nd most-charted artist in billboard history

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

GehVorbei

Dionne still 2nd most-charted artist in billboard history

Post by GehVorbei »

It's a tie now with Madonna and Taylor Swift:

http://www.billboard.com/column/chartbe ... 0992.story
blueonblue

Re: Dionne still 2nd most-charted artist in billboard histor

Post by blueonblue »

Taylor who ???

"blue"
Dionnefan

Post by Dionnefan »

I don't know the name of a single one of those Taylor Swift songs. Dionne and Madonna achieved these feats over a 30 and 50 year career. How in the world has Swift done this in 5 or 6 years? They must be releasing a lot more singles than they used to!
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Same with me; but I say that with the utmost respect. There must be some musical substance to her if she is able to accomplish so much over such a short period of time without people growing tired of her. And in a way her enormous string of hits is not so different from Aretha's and Dionne's accomplishments in the 60s and early 70s. Even though we are not talking quite 50+ hits there but more like 30+.

On the other hand a lot of today's consumers would probably be totally surprised to find out that Dionne and Connie Francis are way up there. The latter -as a small footnote - is also one the biggest German-language acts in our chart history here. Yes, Connie had a string of huge hits here singing in German. While Dionne only had 3 top 100 hits altogether in German chart-history - all English language versions: "Heartbreaker" (absolutely massive), "That's What Friends Are For" (big) and "It's All Over" (mid-size).
Last edited by GehVorbei on Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Connie Francis "Schöner Fremder Mann" live 1961:

Dionne Warwick & Blue System "Its All Over" 1991

http://video.yandex.ru/users/ggenerator/view/880/