Burt Bacharach in Knoxville, TN

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

LPJim

Burt Bacharach in Knoxville, TN

Post by LPJim »

Greetings from Knoxville, TN, where Mr. B. is conducting the Knoxville Symphony Orchestra tonight (3/13) as well as last night (3/12/2004). I have posted the setlist and a story of our meeting him in person at Rudy's A&M Corner (www.amcorner.com).
Many thanks to Burt for spending a weekend bringing his incredible music to our city -- and for patiently signing our album covers.
I plan to take in tonight's show as well and will post a set list later.
JB
PS: great site here
mark
Site Admin

Post by mark »

What a great story, Jim. Thanks for posting. One question about the set list: I'm unfamiliar with the song I Remember You. Can you describe it?

For those unfamiliar, Rudy's A&M Corner is a wonderfully comprehensive site dedicated to Burt, Herb Alpert, Sergio Mendes, the Carpenters and all the other great artists on the A&M label.

Jim posted his story about meeting Burt in Rudy's A&M Forum. You can read the whole story at http://www.amcorner.com/forum/index.php
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I loved the story, too! Particularly when Burt ordered you (LOL) to get his new Ron Isley CD and bring it back so he can sign it! Damn that was great!!!

God! To go through life as Burt Bacharach!!!
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

I Remember You is a line from Making Love.

Post by Guest »

My cohort informs me "Making Love" was made famous by Roberta Flack.
Appreciate your comments; look forward to tonight's show.
JB
brillbuild

We were there Saturday night too . . .

Post by brillbuild »

We enjoyed Burt with the Symphony also last night (3/13/2004). The medleys were incredible.This was the first time I had seen him live and it was the experience of a lifetime. We sat in the center of the lower balcony and viewed right down the spotlight and could see every move has he conducted and played the piano. My digital camera performed well too.
Does he always perform with a symphony?, it really added tremendously. More later...
chilipop

Long Lost Song

Post by chilipop »

After the Knoxville concert I went backstage to wait for The Man to sign some albums. I managed to have a short conversation with Mr. B concerning a long lost recording of his that sits in a vault somewhere. Two good friends of my sister sang backup of some sort as children and swore to me that the song existed. To be sure, I confirmed it with him myself and he laughed when asked and confirmed yes, the song exists but was never released. The song is titled, "Happy Is A Color". Upon asking him he turned to his assistant and asked, "That was one of David Joyce's songs, right?" or something to that effect. Anyone know who David is? Lyricist maybe?
x

Unreleased song, new albbum, Umbria Jazz

Post by x »

How old do you estimate the song to be? Do you know how they come to know about this unreleased song?

DID ANYONE ASK HIM ABOUT HIS SONY PROJECT (THE ALBUM HE IS SET TO RECORD)?? I'M SURE HE WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THAT THERE'S INTEREST IN THAT. I'M LIVING FOR THE DAY IT COMES OUT.

Incidentally: about the songs I think Burt is likely to play and give special attention to at the Umbria Jazz Festival, I think I should have included What The World Needs Now. I was reminded of it while listening to that mp3 that John Gates has of a live performance of that song. And what a unique rendition of Monterey Peninsula Gates recorded... I was never too big on that song, but that recording is awfully special. Wonder if anyone agrees.
chilipop

Re: Unreleased song, new albbum, Umbria Jazz

Post by chilipop »

[quote="x"]How old do you estimate the song to be? Do you know how they come to know about this unreleased song?

They supposedly were in the studio when it was recorded. It was some song that had kids in the background vocals and Jack Jones maybe? They were fuzzy on that part since they were kids. This would have been in the 60's, early part.
Steve Owen

for Chillipop

Post by Steve Owen »

David Joyce may have been a lead kid singer. As you may know, Burt made a couple of records with kid lead vocals. David's dad was probably Jimmy Joyce of the Jimmy Joyce Singers. Jimmy was the choral director on some of Burt's records.