Bob Hilliard

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

Bob Hilliard

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

I wonder if Bob Hilliard ended up having enormous regrets at not having ended up as Burt's permanent lyricist? I'm thinking that Bob Hilliard is the Pete Best of lyricists. Pete Best was the Beatles original drummer before they became famous. Imagine how Pete Best felt when the Beatles took over the music world knowing that he could have been the drummer instead of Ringo Starr. So I'm wondering the same thing about Bob Hilliard. I wonder if Bob Hilliard kicked himself every day when Burt and Hal started writing one hit song after another. It had to be a bad feeling for Bob Hilliard, I would imagine. I wonder if he ever spoke about it? Of course, he did write some very big hits with and without Burt. But still, missing out on being Burt's permanent writing partner had to be a regret for him... or maybe not, I don't know. He died very young -- at the age of 53, in 1971.