Another rare Bacharach tune

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

Another rare Bacharach tune

Post by Steve Schenck »

This one is called "Who's Got the Action?" I'd never heard of it, nor had I heard of the singer, Phil Colbert. I like it! While the arrangement is not Burt's (and it shows; an example, I guess, of how in the early years the honchos didn't trust him to do his own arranging and producing) it's still a good arrangement, I think. Enjoy!

Blair N. Cummings

Re: Another rare Bacharach tune

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

This was the only memorable track from the 2009 compilation, Rare Bacharach 1958 - 1965 in the same way that "Miracle of St Marie" was the omly stand-out from the more recent Long Ago Last Summer collection. I wouldn`t be without these early recordings but I don`t often listen to them.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Steve:
Blair:
Also never heard of Phil Colbert; however, it appears to me that he was attempting to emulate Gene Pitney (listen closely). This was a time in the 60's where Bacharach, David and Hilliard were focusing on Pitney. Some of my favorites: "Fool Killer", "Liberty Valance" and "24 Hours From Tulsa". ......... This recording almost sounds like a demo prepared for Pitney. ..... Believe I heard that Pitney's "people" were discouraging him from getting too closely identified with the Bacharach sound. ... If true - BIG MISTAKE - because he handled the material so well! ........ Remember 'Only Love Can Break A Heart" and "True Love Never Runs Smooth"?
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Steve;

Thanks for posting, "Who's Got the Action?" I knew about this great song 2 years ago. I told John Pagano a year ago he should record it! This song is made for John!

Take care mon ami.

Vincent
Steve Schenck

Post by Steve Schenck »

I think you're right, Vincent! I love the combination of the melody note and the underlying chord on the refrain question, "Who's got the action?" John could certainly pull this off well.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

ron hertel wrote:Steve:
Blair:
Also never heard of Phil Colbert; however, it appears to me that he was attempting to emulate Gene Pitney (listen closely). This was a time in the 60's where Bacharach, David and Hilliard were focusing on Pitney. Some of my favorites: "Fool Killer", "Liberty Valance" and "24 Hours From Tulsa". ......... This recording almost sounds like a demo prepared for Pitney. ..... Believe I heard that Pitney's "people" were discouraging him from getting too closely identified with the Bacharach sound. ... If true - BIG MISTAKE - because he handled the material so well! ........ Remember 'Only Love Can Break A Heart" and "True Love Never Runs Smooth"?
Couldn't agree more about how great Pitney sang those Bacharach/David songs. And I agree that it was a big mistake for Pitney's manager to break off Pitney's relationship with Burt. Gene did such a great job with the above songs you mention. He could have had even greater success with Burt and Hal, no question about it. What a shame.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Only Burt and Hal can write a song that has traces of Mongolian throat singing and tritones and still sound good.

Johnny Mathis Warm and Tender.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Dreamy Frank Sinatra like song by Johnny Mathis. Almost sounds like a standard.

Johnny Mathis- Heavenly.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

A perfect blend of Burt Bacharach, Hal David, Jerry Leiber, Mike Stoller

Jay and the Americans- Look in my eyes Maria.
geoff85

Post by geoff85 »

Steve Schenck wrote:This one is called "Who's Got the Action?" I'd never heard of it, nor had I heard of the singer, Phil Colbert. I like it! While the arrangement is not Burt's (and it shows; an example, I guess, of how in the early years the honchos didn't trust him to do his own arranging and producing) it's still a good arrangement, I think. Enjoy!

A very classic Bacharach sound. I love the organ. Bob Hilliard always wrote good lyrics in Hal David's absence.