Dionne Warwick ...... "NOW"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

nymusicalsguy

Re: Dionne Warwick ...... "NOW"

Post by nymusicalsguy »

I can't speak to the quality or the production of the remake tracks ("Be Aware" and "I Just Have to Breathe," reportedly, plus the more well-known hits), but I'm disappointed that misinformation is apparently being spread about a Burt/Hal reunion.

CNN reported over the weekend:

[http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/02/showbiz/h ... index.html]

"Hal David's last songwriting project was a reunion with two people with whom he had some of his greatest success starting 50 years ago: Burt Bacharach and Dionne Warwick, according to Warwick's representative."

and

"David and Bacharach, who parted ways as regular collaborators in the 1970s, came together recently to write several new songs for Warwick's 50th anniversary album, Warwick's rep said. "Dionne, Now" is set for release in October."

I cannot believe that Dionne is intentionally spreading anything untrue, but her representatives should be more careful...unless, of course, Burt and Hal did reunite to pen "several new songs," none of which will actually be heard on the upcoming album. And, of course, that doesn't seem to be the case.

That said, I'm looking forward to NOW, and whatever it brings for fans of the Warwick/Bacharach/David "triangle marriage."
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Still, Dionne's representatives are representing Dionne and surely she can't be that ignorant of what her publicists are putting forth since she is putting forth the same thing in interviews. But, the artwork and photography of the 1982 Dionne compared to the the 2012 Dionne promoting this project are stunning...in my opinion, the only stunning thing about this project. Even the print ad posted here misrepresents the project.
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Oh get over it BtoB! Why do you get so hyped up about it .. Dionne still sounds fabulous compared to most of the tripe being put out there today .. it's a super sound for a fine woman who has survived 50 years in what sounds to me the most ghastly back stabbing and competitive industry on earth!! Maybe apart from the fashion industry!! Pour yourself a drink, turn it up, relax and enjoy!! Dionne has her own life, songs etc and doesn't need her old maestro, as much as she respects him breathing down her neck!
BachtoBacharach

I don't think her old maestro has been breathing down her neck at all; wish he would as maybe he could coax a performance out of her that is worthy of her rather than her returning to that lazy remake well over and over. She sure keeps returning to the maestro's work over and over to re-record so maybe she is breathing down his neck! She is inviting this comparison to the old tunes and has improved not one so why keep doing this? I think I will turn up the Dionne Warwick Collection: Her Greatest Hits from Rhino Records on the old stereo among others, pour myself a nice glass of wine and enjoy the remarkable originals rather than these vapid and pale imitations. Thanks for the suggestion!
Last edited by BachtoBacharach on Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Go for it!! The originals are of course classic but the new one's are quite nice too!! Wish I could join you!
BachtoBacharach

It would be like a battle of the bands, only the originals versus the re-recordings! I believe I would have to have a lot of wine to make it through this latest album. Maybe you can compromise and we'll listen to the Cahn album...now there's a remake album worthy of Dionne.
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Yes I was listening to the Sammy Kahn tonight and it sounds better the older it gets ... have you noticed that with Dionne? A year after the release of the album it sounds a bit better? Must be the wine! Also all the songs sound fabulous when the volume is turned up a bit ... altho the Sammy Kahn is gentle with low volume ... but arn't they fabulously written songs and again the lyrics are gorgeous? They sound good even when I'm singing them!

I know what you are saying BtoB but I just want to keep the legend going ... so many of the generation seem to be shutting shop.
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Oh please, if anything let the woman make some cash towards retirement! Right now the enthusiasm for her at least in Europe is so big, she is even coming back to Berlin for a second time this summer now. And even some greatest hits packages of hers made the UK top 20 album charts in the last couple of years. But she is just not making any money on those products.

And where would an artist of her age get fresh material from? Do you see any evidence in the careers of her peers like Gladys, Nancy Wilson, Diana, Patti who haven't been able to release a solo album in ages that there is new material available to that age-group? Diana Ross was still a superstar in the 90s and she can't even get a record deal anymore. Only Aretha seems to be the exception, who after doing an album for home-shopping onl,y is now at least announced to be back with Clive. Gladys is still in stunning voice but the last time she was able to get something regular released was 6 years ago an album of standards.

And even the Sammy Cahn project was not a regular project. The owners of the Sammy Cahn catalogue shopped for a hired gun singer to record a showcase so their intellectual property would get renewed exposure and they could then shop that catalogue around to record companies.

"Now" is a first release on a "kitchen table" record label run by two fairly active English artist-management ladies. I think they manage Elaine Page, who's last Phil Ramone produced album Dionne duetted beautifully on. I think it went gold in the UK. And up to now the evidence seems they are doing a good job promoting "Now" and there are clearly some quality elements there. The David Vance photos are great and Phil Ramone produced the album who recently won Grammies by the bucket for his work with Tony Bennett. (I don't know where someone would get the information from that Phil produced only four songs. Phil proudly states on his own homepage that he produced an album of 11 songs.)

All I heard up to now from "Now" were bits of "Make It Easy On Yourself" that sounded stunning. A lovely take on "Always There To Remind Me". And the shitty song that now is her single that fails in all categories.

If anybody has heard more of the album, please come forward!
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Well done for putting it in perspective ... yes Dionne had an amazing presence here in the UK this summer .. excellent PR .. should have been around years ago! A BBC radio 4 slot really classy!
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Gotta love the "lively discussion" this topic has generated so far! ........ In my initial post I referred to " .... pure speculation ...." regarding this recording project. ...... That still applies for the most part; however, bits and pieces of information seem to be emerging as the discussion continues. KEEP POSTING your input! ......... Personally - I have supported Dionne through the "good times and bad" by purchasing her product upon its release and attending her concerts all over the country. I remain optimistic that this project will have its moments - and - will enjoy some degree of commercial success. I've admired Dionne since 1964 and I'm pleased to see that there remains a lot of support for her efforts around the world. For those who were only enamored with her early work and wish she would "hang it up" - I would suggest they restrict their listening to all the great remastered versions of those original classics. ....... Through the years I have come to appreciate so much of the Warwick product issued during her years at Warner Brothers and Arista Records - most of it is remastered and available on CD or iTunes. .......... Give it a fair shot before being too critical.

I have mixed feelings on much of the post Arista (one shot label projects) stuff - but - even those contain some worthwhile material. .... Dionne's unique (although diminished) vocal capabilities have a way of shining through - even on the most mediocre recordings. For years I stated that she could sing the "yellow pages" and I'd love it. .......... Wishing her nothing but success as she continues her worldwide concert tour - and - as long as any record label has faith in her - I'll look forward to the release of that product!
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Bravo Ron!! My sentiments entirely. I love her concerts and to this day sit there in the stalls with goosebumps prior to her unannounced arrival on stage!
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

We never mention 'Aquarela Do Brasil' or the great Legends 3 CD box put out by Sony/BMG with the best Arista year's songs ... brilliant stuff. Starting with 'I'll Never Love This Way Again' and ending 52 songs later with Sting's 'Fragile'.
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

The track listing is more interesting than on her previous re-recording projects. I'm just not sure that all the choices suit her present vocal status well...Did they think they had to include "Don't Make Me Over" because of the anniversary theme?..Windows Of The World" would have been nice but at least we have "Be Aware".

Dionne Warwick 'Now' 50Th Anniversary Album

More Sharing Services
Dionne is celebrating an amazing 50 years in the music business, with the release of 'Now' on 22nd October 2012. The album will be preceded by a double a side release featuring a new track "Is There Anybody Out There?" coupled with the Burt Bacharach and Hal David classic "(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me" on the 14th October 2012.

Track Listing
1. Always There To Remind You
2. Is There Anybody Out There
3. Say A Little Prayer
4. Love Is Still The Answer
5. Be Aware
6. Like A Song
7. Make It Easy
8. 99 Miles
9. Are You There With Another Girl
10. Don't Make Me Over
11. Breathe
12. Reach Out

Only the true greats get to contemplate precisely how to celebrate 50 years in the music business. So Dionne Warwick thought long and hard about how she should mark the five decades that have passed since her debut single, 'Don't Make Me Over' in 1962. That song - written especially for her by her enduring songwriting partners Burt Bacharach and Hal David - became a Top 30 hit on the Billboard Hot 100, sparking an incredible run of success that has seen her chart over 50 U.S. hit singles, win five Grammys and sell over 100 million records.

Contemplating a back catalogue of such pangenerational appeal and all-encompassing scale -studded with hit singles and albums in every decade - Dionne decided the best approach would be to revisit some of her favourite songs from five decades of classics. And when she decided it would be "virtually impossible" to choose the songs herself, she polled her colleagues, her peers and her fans as to which songs should receive a 2012 makeover. In the process, she discovered that everyone has a different favourite Dionne Warwick song. Some chose her classic Bacharach and David hits such as '(There's) Always Something There To Remind Me', others including a fellow superstar even got in on the act, Stevie Wonder no less, encouraged Dionne to revisit her 1965 song 'Are You There With Another Girl' "It's his favourite song," Dionne smiles. "Every time I see Stevie it's the first thing he sings to me."

But nostalgia - even with a twist - was never going to be enough to mark such a landmark anniversary. Unlike many of her 1960s contemporaries, Dionne has never stoppedrecording or playing live, neither have her original songwriting partners who have also remained at the top of their game since first separating with both Dionne and each other in 1972. So Dionne decided to also tackle two new (to her) songs each by the men who helped bring her voice to the world. Allowing the songwriters to choose the songs themselves ("Over 50 years of recording with them, I've built up a little trust in their decisions," she smiles), she provides definitive takes on Bacharach's 'Love Is Still The Answer' and new single 'Is There Anybody Out There?' and David's 'It Was Almost Like A Song' and '99 Miles From LA'. And, in the process, she brings her relationship with them right up to date.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

GehVorbei:

THANKS for posting a fresh perspective on this upcoming release along with what appears to be a complete track listing.

Ron
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Probably hell will break lose again, but I quite like it. Naturally, everybody would have preferred real instruments but I like the production...

"Always Something There To Remind Me" - the "b"side of Dionne's new single: