Burt in San Diego

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

ron hertel

Burt in San Diego

Post by ron hertel »

I believe there are a few remaining tickets for Burt's concert with the San Diego Symphony this Sunday evening.
http://www.sandiegosymphony.com telephone: 619/235-0804
steveo_1965

Re: Burt in San Diego

Post by steveo_1965 »

There have been no reports about the aftermath of this concert....One of the reasons for of the lack of reporting is that the "usuals" or faithfulls that cover Burt's concerts were not allowed to see or kibbitz with Burt after show(for whatever reason)...NOW Im not saying this was Burt's fault, but perhaps management???? the morale was low, cause of this....
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Steve:
With the exception of a couple of songs here and there - Burt's repertoire has remained unchanged over the past several years - so - there's nothing really new to report or discuss. ....... Burt along with vocalists Josie James, John Pagano and Donna Taylor deliver the same well rehearsed flawless performances year after year. ...... As long as he continues to perform annually with the San Diego Symphony - I will certainly be attending. ...... There was nothing included from "Some Lovers" and no mention of upcoming releases or current projects that are underway.

Vincent and I spent a few minutes with Burt and John Pagano following their afternoon rehearsal and sound check (I work next to the bayfront concert venue). ....... Vincent also spoke with Burt following the show. ............ In light of Burt's very limited concert schedule - I would highly recommend for those unable to attend these rare performances - the following CD: "Burt Bacharach with the Sydney Symphony Orchestra @ the Sydney Opera House" This was recorded in 2008 and contains 95% of the material performed on August 5th.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Ron,
That ain't what I heard....but Thanks for your recommending the dvd of Burt's Austrailian performance...Im sure his rep. has more or less been the same...
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Steve;

I have to agree with Ron’s comments on the San Diego Concert. Some of the usual suspects were @ the show. Alvina, Barbara, Laura, Ron and myself.
Yes as Ron indicated, we met Burt after the rehearsal.

Burt core singers, Donna, Josie & John step it up a notch from the Kentucky Concert in June 2012!
The main highlight for me was when Donna sang, “Waiting for Charlie to come home!” Donna took that song from the sole of her feet to the crown of her head! I was ready to yell out, encore when she complete that song! After the show was over, I approach Donna from the stage. I told Donna, she has to record “Waiting for Charlie to come home!!!” In 2013 if you get to see Burt in concert, you will know what I am talking about!

On seeing Burt backstage was out of the question that night! Unless your name was on the backstage list, you were not getting by security. Even a mouse with sneakers on wouldn’t have gotten backstage!

Burt was hosting a small party for his horse racing friends and family! Alvina, Barbara and I were not going to let this stop us on meeting Burt! We waited about 1 hour for Burt’s Limo. The 1st thing Burt asked me was why I did not come backstage. I told him, that I was not on the list. I ask Burt to come East in 2013. Burt smiled and acknowledged my comment.

The only down side of the concert was, that Burt had to end the show early. He ran out of time with the San Diego Symphony and could not complete his whole show. When you play with a symphony, they are union people and are on the clock. So Steve, I am not sure where you are getting your information. But I enjoyed the show and meeting Burt before and after the show!

On Monday, which has now become a custom after Burt Concerts in San Diego, 4 of us had dinner at a wonderful Italian restaurant in San Diego. Ron could give you the name of it.

Take care mon ami.

Vincent
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Thanks for the information...At least now we got a report of that night...
: )

Steveo