Bobbie Gentry BBC radio doc

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

pljms

Bobbie Gentry BBC radio doc

Post by pljms »

Listened to the documentary on BBC Radio 2 last night entitled 'Whatever happened to Bobbie Gentry?' Unlike in the US, she's still best remembered in the UK for her big no.1 hit version of 'I'll Never Fall in Love Again', although as the doc concentrated more on her efforts as a singer-songwriter, in particular 'Ode to Billie-Joe' of course, it was given very short shrift by the show's producer. The fact that her success with Bacharach and David's song led to her being at the London opening with Burt of 'Promises, Promises' and that she also had a UK Top 40 hit with 'Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head' (see below) wasn't referred to.

Paul
Martin Johnson

Re: Bobbie Gentry BBC radio doc

Post by Martin Johnson »

Yes, her biggest British hit was dealt with with almost unseemly haste and with the song only heard in the background. However, it was a fascinating show and it has already led me to look to see just what CDs of hers are available at the moment. She was a special talent for sure and it's just a shame that her career was so brief. Here's her version of The Windows of the World.