Forthcoming documentary about Drinkard Family

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Dionnefan

Forthcoming documentary about Drinkard Family

Post by Dionnefan »

Follow this youtube link:

There is some sort of documentary that is coming out that will focus on Whitney Houston and the incredible Drinkard family, including Dionne, DeeDee, Cissy, and the others. In the short clip, Whitney talks about being proud to be Dionne's cousin, her love of gospel, and the huge influence going out on the road with Dionne in the 70s had on her.

There is also a picture of the Drinkards I had never seen before, and extremely rare (at least to me) footage of the recording of Dionne's Magic of Believing album. You see Dionne and her aunts Rebbie and Cissy singing "Who Do You Think It Was", along with her mother Lee who is also keeping time with the tambourine. Also a short clip of Dionne singing "Children Go Where I Send Thee" in what looks like a church.

I hope I get a chance to see this as I feel there will probably be more footage never seen before of Whitney and Dionne's musical roots. I'm sure Burt and Hal will be mentioned in some capacity.

I really love DIonne's Magic of Believing, with the one caveat that the sound quality is so poor, at least on the vinyl I owned and the files I downloaded off the internet. I heard this had been re-released on CD some time ago--does anyone know if the sound quality had been improved? Dionne really sings beautifully on the album, hitting some very impressive notes. Even though she lets loose a little more than on her Bacharach recordings, she still brings her trademark elegant style to the old gospel standards.
Alistair

Re: Forthcoming documentary about Drinkard Family

Post by Alistair »

"The Magic Of Believing" was reissued on CD by Collectors Choice Music in 2007 (CCM 759). I must dig out my copy to see what the sound quality is like - if I remember rightly, it sounded fine to me when I played it shortly after I got hold of a copy in 2007.
The Drinkard documentray sounds as though it will be fascinating - any Dionne is worth listening to, and watching!
Alistair