Windows of the World / YouTube Take

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

JR

Windows of the World / YouTube Take

Post by JR »

“Dionne Warwick calls The Windows of the World my favorite song that they've ever written (referring to Bacharach/David) A strong statement to be sure but understandable; it's one of Burt Bacharach's most sweet and aching melodies, containing one of Hal David's most direct, political statements. "It was kind of our soft protest song," Dionne continues. "It was during the Vietnam War. There was just a lot of confusion going on in the world. And Hal David, I think, wrote probably one of the most poignant lyrics ever. It was something that had to be said. And still has to be said." "We were right in the middle of that terrible war," David says. "I have two sons, so it was very much on my mind. My older son, Jim was a student at Boston University and was facing the possibility of being taken into the army." The song is hushed and crystalline, with acoustic guitars sweetly weaving around each other. The song indeed sounds "covered in rain"; the quiet production is priceless, although Burt (ever the second-guesser) later feared he had made the song too subtle. The Bacharach/David/Warwick team was disappointed in the song's minor showing on the pop charts. "I thought it would be bigger than it was," David admits. "I was very close to that song. I just loved it. I still love it."