The Fate of "Some Lovers"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Blair N. Cummings

The Fate of "Some Lovers"

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

Does anyone know what is to become of this? Apparently it has ended its trial run in San Diego. Is it mid-town-bound or being quietly buried? Is a score album in the works?
Steve Schenck

Re: The Fate of "Some Lovers"

Post by Steve Schenck »

Blair, I've been trying to find some answer to the same question. Since the end of its San Diego run, I've periodically "trolled" the LA and San Diego area newspapers for any word about where it will go from there, but so far no luck. It would be tragic to have so much music written by one of the country's best just left to sit in someone's closet. I wonder if Mark, our site creator, could get word to Linda Doroetz(spelling?), Burt's publicist, to see if there is anything in the works. Then there is the "Austin Powers" project, too... about which I'm not terribly excited, but the man can't have too much time on his hands, what with writing, arranging, travelling, and his family and his health to think about.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Well, I don't think much of critics, and any musical written by Burt has got to have some
good musical value..Im glad he produced it....
A site called Bitter-lemons...shows different reviews of it, and it is rated 55%

http://losangeles.bitter-lemons.com/201 ... ttersweet/

Again, there are always possibilites of later revivals, and of a possible cast album(I hope) but the current reviews are mixed.
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Sadly, the reality in musical theatre nowadays is that it takes years to get a musical to NYC; just ask Stephen Sondheim or John Kander and the late Fred Ebb, all Broadway legends who in recent years have had shows close out-of-town or take circuitous paths before finally arriving. Andrew Lloyd Webber can't even get his sequel to PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (the most financially successful Broadway musical in history, by the way) to NY, largely as a result of negative reviews abroad. Even the upcoming Broadway revival of EVITA began its life in London a full six years ago! The monetary stakes are simply too high for a tepidly-received show to make it to New York. (There are, might I add, exceptions to every rule, before somebody points them out!)

It's my understanding that SOME LOVERS is far from dead, but the reality is that it won't have a future life without substantial rewriting and a dedicated producer as a guiding hand. I saw the San Diego production, and the music is every bit as wonderful as I'd hoped it would be...and so unmistakably Bacharach. But there are dramaturgical problems with the book and lyrics that the CA critics latched onto while remaining respectful of Bacharach's contribution. The most likely scenario for SOME LOVERS is another regional production (perhaps this winter, as the musical is holiday-themed) that will hopefully lead to a NY berth. Keep your fingers crossed. It's evident that the authors would very much like to continue, as would the Old Globe Theatre...one can only hope that the show has a future life (perhaps with a new director and a new vision?), because the music is simply too good to disappear. At least Burt has gotten a few of the songs ("Just Walk Away," "Welcome To My World," "Every Other Hour," "Some Lovers") out there in one form or another. And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see more songs from the score appearing around the world, either...

Best,

Joe
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Joe;

Thanks for you insight on the fate of "Some Lovers."

I hope more of Burt's music will be release one day.

Take care;

Vincent
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Joe,
thanks for the wonderful post..how right you are! and hello to my friend Vincent Cole!
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Steveo_1965;

A big ditto to you! Hope to see you this year in San Diego for the Burt concert, Sunday, August 5, 2012!

Take care mon ami.

Vincent
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Thanks, friends. For those interested, I thought I might share the song list from SOME LOVERS:

Molly
Aren't We?
Some Lovers
Aren't We/Another Start
Love Me for an Hour
Living with a Ghost
A Hit for You
Window Shoppin' and Dreamin' Dreams
The Only Music I Understand
The Girl Who Sang My Songs
Hold Me
A Thousand Things That Were You
Welcome to My World
Ready to Be Done with You/A Thousand Things That Were You (Reprise)
Every Other Hour
Just Walk Away
This Christmas
Hush
This Christmas (Finale)

I should add that Burt worked closely with PROMISES, PROMISES' Jonathan Tunick to orchestrate the score, and although they only had an eight-piece "orchestra" at their disposal, the sound was vibrant and exciting. If a recording were ever made, I would hope that the band could be augmented (as has been the practice for cast recordings for many years, even when pit bands were much larger), because a more full sound would only enhance the already-wonderful work performed by Tunick.

Joe
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

The longer this goes on and the more I think about it, my opinion is now, "Why bother with Broadway?"
As I have churlishly noted before, Broadway has been nothing but a mediocre tourist trap (forgive the redundancy) for decades. Jimmy Webb gave up his singer/songwriter perch in LA over a quarter century ago when musical tides were moving away from that genre to offer his talents to what he believed would be a more receptive market. He composed probably hundreds of songs for well over a half-dozen shows, none of which were ever produced.
Why would anyone with any real talent, taste, and sensitivity even bother trying to compete with the likes of "Mama Mia" or "Spiderman"(is that still running, too?)
I think, after all, my initial idea was and still is the best. Screw the stage production and record these songs as an album. Burt can make it a work of art. Why should he waste the last years of his life thanklessly trying to rent space on 42nd Street?
Last edited by Blair N. Cummings on Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Although there would likely be some legal obstacles ......... I too would like to see these songs produced as a Bacharach album project. Reviews of the play were mixed; however, the music was well received! .... There's probably good reason for the 45 year interval between "Promises Promises" and "Some Lovers".
Roberto Pinardi

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

I could listen to the songs of the show (!): they are very beautiful, is, in my opinion a great musical!

Bye
Roberto
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

To back up what Blair said 2 posts above this one, I am posting this article from today's New York Times regarding the new Broadway bound (??) musical entitled "Sleepless in Seattle". Now I see the musical is delayed--to say the least!

After the great success of "Promises, Promises" way back in 1968, the opportunity really presented itself for Burt, Hal and Neil Simon to create another smash Broadway musical. They were in their prime then. Neil Simon was writing one hit play after the other. And I don't have to mention how Burt and Hal were doing. My guess is that Hal and Neil would have loved to do another musical. But they couldn't do it without Burt and it's well known where Burt stood at that time with regards to writing another Broadway show. And with the great producer, David Merrick, nothing could have stopped them. From where I sit, it's a real pity, too.

Now here we are 44 years later, and getting a show on Broadway is nearly impossible. As Blair said, it really is nearly impossible.

from: http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/ ... /?ref=arts

‘Sleepless in Seattle’ Musical Delayed
By PATRICK HEALY
The June world premiere of the musical “Sleepless in Seattle,” based on the 1993 Tom Hanks-Meg Ryan film romance, will be delayed as the producers replace its director and songwriters with a new team who will rework the entire show, according to two theater executives familiar with the project. The Pasadena Playhouse, where “Sleepless” was set to begin performances on June 12, announced on Friday that the show would be rescheduled for a production slot in the company’s 2012-2013 season.

Sheldon Epps, the artistic director of the Playhouse, said in a statement that “our desire to ‘get it right’ led us to the wise decision to give this project additional time for further creative development.” The commercial producer attached to the musical, David Shor, who had been hoping to bring the show to Broadway in the fall, attributed the delay to the “very intricate” process of creating the musical, which has had private readings recently but had not yet begun rehearsals for the Pasadena run.

“Developing a show based on a movie as iconic as ‘Sleepless in Seattle’ is something we don’t take lightly,” Mr. Shor said in a statement. “I feel that it is essential not to rush this progression so that the show that is ultimately seen on stage is something we all can be proud of.”

Conspicuously absent from Pasadena’s announcement was any mention of several members of the musical’s creative team. The announcement only noted that the show had a book by Jeff Arch, who is Mr. Shor’s business partner and who was one of the writers on the original screenplay. Up to now, the show’s director had been Joel Zwick (“My Big Fat Greek Wedding”), and the music and lyrics were by Michelle Citrin, Michael Garin and Josh Nelson.

The theater executives familiar with the project – who spoke on condition of anonymity because Pasadena and Mr. Shor had not authorized them to speak – said that only Mr. Arch would remain on the creative team and that new members would be announced in the near future. The executives said that the show would undergo a top-to-bottom overhaul. As for Broadway, there was no word on Friday about a revised date.