Jackie DeShannon Revisited

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bruce Bernard Williams

Jackie DeShannon Revisited

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

"When You Walk In The Room" is the title of Jackie's soon-to-be released album for RockBeat Records. The release date is set for September 27. Songs included are: "When You Walk In The Room", "Put A Little Love In Your Heart", "Bette Davis' Eyes", "Come And Stay With Me", "Heart In Hand", Jack Nitsche/Sonny Bono's "Needles and Pins", "Breakaway", Burt Bacharach/Hal David's "What The World Needs Now Is Love", and a new song titled "Will You Stay In My Life?". These are stripped-down versions with splashes of strings and a couple of electric guitars. Long live CD's!
BachtoBacharach

Re: Jackie DeShannon Revisited

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Aside from Dionne, Jackie was the best interpreter of Bacharach in my opinion yet she never gets her due. Many speak reverently of Dusty Springfield as though Burt worked directly with her often. Aside from The Look of Love, Bacharach didn't work. produce or write for Dusty but she did a lot of Bacharach COVERS and sometimes she seemed to be a Dionne wannabe (she admittedly idolized Dionne)...Jackie never seemed that way to me. Dionne's influence in Dusty's Bacharach interpretations is clear to me. Then, sometimes Dusty was either bombastic or breathlessly sexy/husky and it didn't ring true sometimes to me...that seemed often to be her main two modes. When you compare Dionne and Jackie's Bacharach to Dusty's, she falls short except for Wishin' and Hopin' and TTOL. Jackie had some of the vocal qualities of Dionne and also BJ Thomas and those tunes she recorded are very much underappreciated.
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

I agree BtoB about Dusty's interpretations of Bacharach songs .. I too liked 'Wishin and Hopin' something crisp about it. I sadly havn't heard Jackie DeShannon singing for ages but will get this new album for sure.
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

More on Jackie's (fantastic) new record, due next month:

http://theseconddisc.com/2011/07/27/wha ... t-records/

Best,

Joe
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

Thanks Joe for that link. Now for more great news about Jackie! Collectors' Choice will release four (4) reissues on August 25th. They are: Jackie DeShannon (1963), a "twofer" Me About You (1968)/To Be Free (1970), and New Arrangement (1975). For an abundance of details on these reissues AND the forthcoming September release, please visit www.Allaboutjazz.com. Just go to the upper right corner and type in Jackie DeShannon and you'll have several links to choose from and if you'll scroll down towards the bottom, there's a link to the Maestro's Bio which is condensed yet comprehensive.