Afternoon Deelites, one of Burt's prized Thoroughbreds

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Bill Minnick

Afternoon Deelites, one of Burt's prized Thoroughbreds

Post by Bill Minnick »

Afternoon Deelites Pensioned; to Old Friends
by Blood-Horse Staff
Date Posted: 3/22/2011 5:29:46 PM
Last Updated: 3/23/2011 9:05:11 AM

Afternoon Deelites
Grade I winner Afternoon Deelites has been pensioned due to infertility and will be sent to Old Friends equine retirement facility near Georgetown, Ky. The 19-year-old son of Private Terms had been standing since 2004 at Clear Creek Stud near Folsom, La.
During his racing career, Afternoon Deelites was trained by Richard Mandella for owner Burt Bacharach. Bred in West Virginia by Bacharach’s Blue Seas Music, Afternoon Deelites was an instant success, winning his first three starts as a 2-year-old, including the Hollywood Futurity (gr. I) and Hollywood Preview Breeders’ Cup Stakes (gr. III).
Continuing his winning ways into his 3-year-old season, Afternoon Deelites scored victories in the 1995 Malibu (gr. I), San Felipe (gr. II), and San Vicente Breeders’ Cup (gr. III), and lost by a head to Larry The Legend in the Santa Anita Derby (gr. I). In that year’s Kentucky Derby (gr. I), Afternoon Deelites was eighth to Thunder Gulch .
Afternoon Deelites was retired to Brereton Jones’ Airdrie Stud near Midway, Ky., after his 4-year-old season, during which he notched another grade II victory.
During his stallion career, he sired graded stakes winners Zappa, Deelightful Irving, Three Hour Nap, Monoestrellado, Miss Pickums, and No Tolerance. Moved to Clear Creek Stud in Louisiana for the 2004 breeding season, he sired two Louisiana-bred champions in Princess Deelite and Nob Hill Deelite. Overall, Afternoon Deelites is the sire of 309 winners and 23 stakes winners who have earned more than $21,700,000.
“It is always a sad day when you lose the services of a horse of Afternoon Deelites’ quality,” said Clear Creek Stud owner Val Murrell in a release. “His average earnings per starter of $56,000-plus has made him very appealing to the breeders in Louisiana. He will be hard to replace. I would really like to express my gratitude to Michael Blowen of Old Friends for agreeing to let Afternoon Deelites live out his retirement there.”
Afternoon Deelites was bred to 27 mares in 2010 and currently has 34 2-year-olds.
mblowen

Re: Afternoon Deelites, one of Burt's prized Thoroughbreds

Post by mblowen »

Afternoon Deelites is leaving Louisiana this afternoon...(right around Preakness post time) and will arrive at Old Friends tomorrow morning. We're very excited...Kent Desormeaux, who rode Afternoon Deelites in every race, is very excited and will probably visit him on Monday or Tuesday..Kent says he's the fastest horse he ever rode...Coincidentally, he'll be living just a few yards from the memorial plaque we have for Burt and Angie's daughter, Nikki...We'll post some pictures next week at www.oldfriendsequine.org...We are also open seven days a week for tours so I hope everyone will visit this amazing athlete. He'll be making friends with neighbors..Marquetry, Gulch, Sunshine Forever and one of his sons..Popcorn Deelites who played seabiscuit in the movie.
mblowen

Post by mblowen »

Afternoon Deelites settled right in to his new paddock next to Breeders' Cup sprint champion, Gulch...Afternoon Deelites is one of the handsomest Thoroughbreds I've ever seen...If he could sing a medley of Burt's songs, he'd outdraw anyone in Vegas..Old Friends is open for visitors so, if you're ever in the neighborhood of Lexington/Georgetown, Ky, please stop by...You can reserve a tour by calling 502 863-1775...Thanks, Michael Blowen, Pres., Old Friends.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

There was a big hit song in the '70's called "Afternoon Delight". Burt didn't write it, though. I like it when he names his horses after a song, like his horse "Heartlight". I'm sure, though, that he'll never name one of his horses "Promises, Promises".
mblowen

Post by mblowen »

Afternoon Deelites is going strong. Kent Desormeaux visited several times and told us that he won the Derby with Big Brown Fusaichi P:egasusand Real Quiet but Afternoon Deelites was the fastest horse he was ever on...Thank you Burt for trusting us with your amazing horse.