Dionne's new album of Sammy Cahn songs released next month

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

GehVorbei

Re: Dionne's new album of Sammy Cahn songs released next month

Post by GehVorbei »

and another great one from Jazz Police:

Her Pocket Full of Miracles – Dionne Warwick’s “Only Trust Your Heart” (2011, MPCA)
Written by Andrea Canter, Contributing Editor
Monday, 11 April 2011
In the musical world of “sure” things, one has to count the songs of Sammy Cahn and the voice of Dionne Warwick. So what if Dionne Warwick recorded an album drawn from the Sammy Cahn songbook? Celebrating 50 years as one of America’s most lauded singers, Dionne Warwick has released her first contemporary jazz collection, Only Trust Your Heart. And you need only trust your ear – despite her 70 years, her five decades of performing and recording in the pop, soul and R&B veins, Dionne still possesses one of the most emotive voices in American music. She can still move you with a sigh, with a whisper, with phrasing that transcends genre.

Drawing on songs associated with Frank Sinatra, Dionne selected 11 of Cahn’s most engaging melodies and two from Jack Wolf and his collaborations with Sinatra (“I’m a Fool to Want You”) and Burt Bacharach—of course a significant figure in Warwick’s early career (“Keep Me in Mind”). And this is not Warwick’s first jazzified effort. Sarah Vaughn was a family friend and significant influence; she performed with Count Basie, Joe Williams and Duke Ellington, regarded Lena Horne as a mentor, and appeared on a CBS special featuring an allstar list of jazz artists. A Cole Porter album for Clive Davis’s Arista label was deemed “too jazzy” and was re-recorded before release back in 1990. Maybe Only Trust Your Heart is Dionne’s redemption.

For the most part, the arrangements rely on a core ensemble of pianist Raymond Angry, bassists Adam Blackstone and Neil Jason, and drummer Cindy Blackman Santana, with additional horns and strings extending the sonic backdrop on some tracks. But it is that small ensemble support that helps Dionne kickoff the recording and title tune with a warm tropical swing—she spends significant time in Brazil these days and there’s a definite air of samba, while “You I Love” lilts with big band sunshine. Some songs, like “Wonder Why,” might give us pause to “wonder why” Warwick is not known as a jazz diva, her phrasing, her note and rhythmic choices all on par with the great songbook interpreters. But then we get to “Keep Me in Mind,” and quickly recall those great R&B and soul hits of the 60s, and just wonder at the longevity, the consistency of that voice, the storyteller who puts so much of her life into every note.

Maybe she saves the best for last, a simple arrangement of “Pocketful of Miracles” with just pianist Raymond Angry, her voice now a deeper bronze, maybe a bit more conversational, every bit as straight-to-the-heart as ever. Is Dionne Warwick really a jazz singer? Not that it matters, but at least on Only Trust Your Heart, she rises above each melody and lyric to create her own message, in her own musical language. Call it jazz, or just call it Dionne Warwick.
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Wow! Thank you for posting that fabulous review of the new CD.
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Further to my last posting and just out of interest .. does anyone know how Grammy shortlists and nominations are awarded? Is it a completely closed shop (like the Oscars) or does the general public get a say? Or is it purely on record sales?
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Grammy's are awarded by peers. Public has no say. More info here: http://www.grammy.org/recording-academy
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Thank you for that .. so no point then in even trying to campaign for Dionne's new CD?
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

Nope, it's like the Oscars; peers rule. But, Dionne has had 11 nominations and 5 wins so she has had very good luck at the Grammys. It's all peer driven, which means a lot; not disregarding a fan vote or a popularity contest but that's why the Oscars and the Grammys are so prestigous and the American Music Awards and such at that are not (although they are nice awards, most singers would rather have one Grammy than 5 American Music Awards)...you are voted on by peers...Dionne has always been highly regarded by her peers and those in the industry. I wouldn't bet against Dionne getting a nomination and the new CD is selling well and garnering the best reviews she's had in years. Folks (and critics) got so tired of the retreads of all the Bacharach material and the duets...this is her best CD since Heartbreaker. She didn't stick to the safe and lazy "Dionne Warwick formula" for this one and it's paid off big time. Kudos to her for singing material that is suited to her still wonderful voice and not going with remakes of her old hits which were pale imitations of her originals. Dionne proves on this one she doesn't need folks like Reba McIntyre and Wynonna Judd to prop her up. I am so happy that her son Damon didn't produce this one either...the duets project called "My Friends and Me" was mediocre and was so lacking in substance...she deserved much better than that...I've played that CD one time and it's tucked away...if you are going to listen to her Bacharach material go with the originals. Now if she were to couple with Bacharach for a new CD of his material that she has never tackled...that I would stand in line to buy! Windows and Doors, This House Is Empty Now, etc...Bacharach knows her voice like no one else...new arrangements by him would take into consideration the maturity of her voice and she could sound as good as she does on her new Cahn album. :)
Last edited by BachtoBacharach on Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Yes I absolutely agree .. which is why I have found her new CD to be such a pleasant surprise. A new collaboration with new Bacharach material would be amazing. As a long term fan, I too found the 'My Friends and Me' album very ordinary and like you say why rehash those songs when the originals are masterpieces. Thank you too for the info on the Grammys. From this side of the pond the Oscars and Grammys are the BEST and so exciting and prestigious. Will sit up into the early hours to watch!

In the light of the new album,I can't help wondering what the first 'jazz' version of Dionne's Cole Porter album must have sounded like before it was changed?
Bruce Bernard Williams

Post by Bruce Bernard Williams »

I agree with you both, BachtoBacharach and gillanddon that a new album of RECENT Bacharach compositions such as "Every Other Hour", "Falling Out Of Love", "Count On Me", "Love Is (Still) The Answer", "Paint It Blue", and "Pennies In A Jar" would be such a complement to her post-Sammy Cahn project and would simply thrill all of us fans. The new album would simply be titled "Second Wind". Wish we could present them with an on-line petition or a commission of sorts to do such an album that, in my estimation, is long overdue.
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

I absolutely agree Bruce and BtoB. Count me in for a petition if such a thing is at all possible? How about an e-mail or letter direct to each of them? I have had 'Trust in Your Heart' drifting around the place all morning this Easter Sunday .. bliss Dionne's lovely vocal range and timing as always.