Ronan Keating in the Studio with Burt

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

Ronan Keating in the Studio with Burt

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

http://www.undercover.fm/news/13555-ron ... -bacharach

I live in the States. Should I know who Ronan Keating is?
MissyK

Re: Ronan Keating in the Studio with Burt

Post by MissyK »

He is an Irish singer/songwriter. His success has been mainly in the UK and Europe, but is also very popular in Australia, New Zealand (where he is a judge on the X Factor) and also in parts of Asia. If you have ever seen the film Notting Hill you may recognise him from the soundtrack, he sang the song "When You Say Nothing At All" in the film. He has also dueted with Leanne Rimmes and they had a small hit in the US with "Last Thing On My Mind". If you come from Florida one of his songs was used to advertise Busch Gardens "Lovin Each Day". Lastly a song which he co-wrote was a number 1 country hit in the US for the duo Brooks and Dunn "The Long Good Bye" He is also the lead singer with the 90s Boyband called Boyzone who he records and tours with, as well as remaining a solo artist.

He has recorded a couple of albums where he has covered some well known songs which were recorded live with an orchestra, so working with Burt is pretty much a dream come true for him. I am looking forward to the album which will be due out in the UK in April.

You can see a list of some of his albums here: http://tiny.cc/dy1jt If you click on the albums you can hear some samples

You can follow him on Twitter where he has said some lovely things about Burt whilst he was recording last week in LA. Also he will proberly give an update as to whats going on with the album.

http://twitter.com/ronanofficial
An Enormous BB Fan

Thank you, MissyK. I figured he must be a big deal considering that Burt would go into the studio with him. Do you know if he will be singing one of Burt's new songs?
MissyK

Post by MissyK »

As far as I know they have recorded some of Burts classics together. They have used a 95 piece orchestra and they recorded the tracks live over 6 days. I am not sure whether they have included any new songs written by Burt, but I guess its possible they could have used one or two. I'm sure information will slip through over the next few weeks or so.
An Enormous BB Fan

MissyK wrote:As far as I know they have recorded some of Burts classics together. They have used a 95 piece orchestra and they recorded the tracks live over 6 days. I am not sure whether they have included any new songs written by Burt, but I guess its possible they could have used one or two. I'm sure information will slip through over the next few weeks or so.
Wow! A 95-piece orchestra -- and recorded live -- arranged and conducted by Burt Bacharach! It doesn't get much better than that, now does it?
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

I notice that Burt is using the Capitol Towers studio in Hollywood more and more...and Im delighted about this!
Steveo
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

He is a good choice for singing Burt's songs and maybe the decision will turn younger audiences to BB music. I'm happy for that.

Boyzone performed a lot of covers of ballads and were quite good. Here's a version of Tracy Chapman's 'Baby can I hold' you with R. Keating in lead vocals. As you can see he really can sing:

MissyK

Post by MissyK »

I also hear that whilst they were recording there was also a documentry being made about the making of the album. I will let you know when the transmission date is likely to be. Obviously it may not be on US TV but I'm sure it will be put on to youtube at some point in the future.

This is a more recent song. It was on his 2009 Xmas album, he recorded it live with an orchestra, it gives you more of an idea how the songs will sound. I am really looking forward to this new album with Burt, because Burts songs are amazing and timeless.

steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

A 95 piece orchestra? Burt is turning into a Bernard Herrmann!
MissyK

Post by MissyK »

As promised here are some more details about the album:

Ronan Keating has teamed up with legendary composer Burt Bacharach to record his brand new solo album,‘When Ronan Met Burt’, set to be released on March 21st.

A long time fan of Burt’s staggering back catalogue, Ronan is thrilled to be working with one of his all-time musical heroes on this very special collaboration. The Irish superstar first contacted Burt last year; he was ecstatic when the iconic composer and producer agreed for them to work together.

Backed by a full orchestra, the result was a spectacular album recorded by the duo earlier this year. All the tracks featured are classics composed by Burt over the course of his impressive fifty year career and include instantly recognisable hits such as ‘Walk On By’, ‘The Look Of Love’, ‘What The World Needs Now Is Love’ and ‘I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself’. All the tracks were recorded live with a full orchestra, ensuring that the grandeur and stature of these timeless classics was captured and conserved.

“It has been a dream come true to work with Burt on this album,” Ronan says of the collaboration. “I grew up listening to his songs and the tracks we’ve chosen to record for the album are simply some of the greatest pop masterpieces ever written, so it was an honour to sing them alongside the man himself.”

Speaking about the recording session Ronan said, "It was one of the hardest sessions I’ve done. It’s hard enough trying to do justice to such legendary tunes but to record them with the man himself was another level of pressure".

Burt said of the process, "To do these songs with a different slant and approach on them made it very interesting for me. And too be able to work with Ronan and expose these songs to maybe a younger audience as well as my fan base. Then to be able to record it in the legendary Capitol recording studio - full orchestra live. Quite a trip we were on Ronan."

‘When Ronan Met Burt’ is Ronan’s seventh solo album in the UK and is his first solo release in this country since 2009’s ‘Winter Songs’. He has since spent time in Australia working as a judge on the Australian version of ‘The X Factor’ and went on to win the competition with one of the acts he mentored. He will again return as a judge on the new series of the show later this year.

‘When Ronan Met Burt’ full track listing:

01. The Look Of Love
02. Walk On By
03. I’ll Never Fall In Love Again
04. Arthur’s Theme (The Best That You Can Do)
05. My Little Red Book
06. What The World Needs Now
07. Something Big
08. I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself
09. This House Is Empty Now
10. Make It Easy On Yourself

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/163842/9
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Mmh, great, but I would like there were 1 or 2 new songs, like in the Ronald Isley record.

(I will buy it the moment it comes out).
An Enormous BB Fan

This is great! And doesn't Burt look as good in that picture as he has in years? I'm very happy about this CD. I wish they were all new songs though. Of course, I'm just being selfish because I know that that wouldn't happy in today's market. Regarding the song list, I would have chosen songs that are not such famous "classics" but are Burt and Hal classics nonetheless. Ron Isley did a few, of course. I'm happy, though, to see "Something Big", "This House Is Empty Now", and "Make It Easy On Yourself" on the CD. I feel that "This House Is Empty Now" should have been a #1 hit. I know that Elvis Costello's singing is not to everyone's taste. So maybe Ronan will make a big smash hit of the song. It deserves it. The only "problem" with the song, as I see it -- and it's not a problem for any great singer -- is that it's so difficult to sing. That won't prevent the song from being a hit, but it might prevent it from getting "covered" a lot. I do rate it very high, though, on Burt's list of great songs. I also would have put "Toledo" on the CD in place of "I'll Never Fall In Love Again." Everyone knows that one.

I'll be curious to see how Burt orchestrated the songs. He can go in a million different ways with everything, so I can't wait to be surprised.

Does anyone know if Steve Tyrell's CD of Burt songs sold well? He and Patti Austin sing "Anyone Who Had A Heart" on it and it's stunning. I don't know if Burt did the arrangement of it, but it really takes my breath away. The point I'm trying to make is that a great, new arrangment to even a classic like "Anyone Who Had A Heart" can make you hear it in a different way. Of course, considering Burt's genius as an orchestrator, usually other arrangers make his songs less than they are. So I'm so happy that Burt will be doing the arranging and not someone else.

I also like the title, "When Ronan Met Burt". It has a nice ring to it.
Roberto Pinardi

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

Voilà:

http://yfrog.com/h3ykvxxj

Bye
Ciao
Roberto
gillanddon

Post by gillanddon »

Great news! I can't wait to get this album .. along with Dionne's new one!!
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

"If Tomorrow Never Comes" (Ronan Keating)

I didn't know Ronan Keating, and not take a genius to recognize his great talent. Through his interviews he proves to be a pretty simple person, authentic, without using the arrogance to expose what he is. He is the only that he is. He and Burt should be a perfect combination. As the set with Elvis Costello.

Regards.