Soft / Smooth BACHARACH

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

ron hertel

Soft / Smooth BACHARACH

Post by ron hertel »

As I took my daily walk - equipped with iPod and headset - I focused on recordings of Bacharach songs with meaningful lyrics that are so easy to listen to .... (not to be confused with so called "easy listening" ... "syrupy elevator music" - that I do not like!) .... Those I listened to included: "The April Fools" ... " Dream Sweet Dreamer" ... "Wanting Things" ... "Don't Say I Didn't Tell You So" ... 'Any Old Time Of The Day" ... 'Sunny Weather Lover" ... "Who Is Gonna Love Me" ... "Extravagant Gestures" ... "Be Aware" ... "Balance Of Nature" ... "I Just Have To Breathe" ... "Captives Of The Heart" ... "I Don't Need You Anymore" ... "The Fool Killer" ... and ... "Sleep With Me Tonight"

If what I'm attempting to convey makes any sense - I'd be interested in some titles you might include.
Blair N. Cummings

Re: Soft / Smooth BACHARACH

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

To be honest, Ron, I`m not sure that I can make the distinctions you`re making, but to play along (and maybe stimulate a New Year`s discussion here), I`ll offer "Who Gets the Guy/Girl?" and "Odds and Ends".
Steve Schenck

Post by Steve Schenck »

Also: Whoever You Are, I Love You; Where Knowledge Ends; The Beginning of Loneliness; Here I Am.
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Blair:
I also had a problem with the distinction I was attempting to convey; however, we must be on the same page because I was about to post the 2 songs you identified along with "Let Me Go To Him". A common thread here is .... that except for "The April Fools" - none of these songs are included in Burt's or Dionne's concert repertoires. I have always favored the non commercially successful recordings such as "Looking With My Eyes" - which probably should have been on my list as well!
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Steve:
2 of the 4 you added could have been on my list as well - namely "Whoever You Are I Love You" ... and ... "The Beginning Of Loneliness"
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Dear Ron,

I don't know what is your opinion (and feeling), but I personally would include on your list (very good) that song "Paper Mache", divinely performed by Dionne Warwick:

Cordially,

Djalma Jr
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Dear Djalma,
You are right - "Paper Mache" should be on my iPod - and - on my list along with "The Wine Is Young"
Thank you,
Ron
Alistair

Post by Alistair »

and how about "Loneliness Remembers, What Happiness Forgets"? I agree about loving the less well-known and performed B/D/Warwick numbers, too.
Alistair
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Soft/SMooth Bacharach would be to me...Dont Go Breaking My Heart...also
perhaps Lynn Murray's soundtrack album instrumental album version of Promise Her Anything..
There are 2 smoothies...among many others : )

Steveo
vincent.cole

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Ron;

I would also pick; 'In Between The Heart aches.' Also, 'Didn't I Tell You So.'

Take care mon ami.

Vincent
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

It seems to me that any listing of soft/smooth Bacharach songs would have to include "Lisa", "Painted From Memory" and "Here I Am".
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Dear Ron,

And the songs "The Last One To Be Loved" and "As Long As Theres An Apple Tree" (by Dionne Warwick), also would not be in style "Soft / Smooth "?

("As Long As Theres An Apple Tree")

What is your opinion?

Best regards,

Djalma Jr.
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

A great tune from Bacharach/David and performed beautifully by Warwick and a gem. This tune has always struck me as I Say A Little Prayer meets Do You Know the Way to San Jose!
Bill Minnick

Post by Bill Minnick »

Surprised no one listed "The Windows of the World."
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Noticed there were "34" choices posted as I was updating my little iPod Shuffle (walking companion) ........ I'll add a few more that I ran across in my iTunes Library including some duet performances: "Take Good Care Of You And Me" ... "Finder Of Lost Loves" ... "On My Own" ... "Love Power" ... " Ever Changing Times" ... "Green Grass Starts To Grow" ... and ... "Falling Out Of Love".