Burt arrangement for Marlene Dietrich

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

someonenameddavid

Burt arrangement for Marlene Dietrich

Post by someonenameddavid »

so I was out yard sailing yesterday and came across a Marlene Dietrich German album, and the last track was arranged by Burt Bacharach.... I didn't buy it... perhaps I should have... I could go back tomorrow and buy it if anyone thinks I should...

david
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
GehVorbei

Re: Burt arrangement for Marlene Dietrich

Post by GehVorbei »

I don't particularly care for that corny song and she brings so much more to material with a deeper meaning...But still it's a nice testament to their working relationship and their friendship...

GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Some of the greatest pizzicatos ever, Burt conducting behind Marlene in Baden-Baden in 1963...

Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Burt did many excellent, and individual, arrangements for a lot of Marlene's stage repertoire - in my opinion, most of them are well worth listening to. Many of Marlene's 1960's studio recordings were made with Burt.
Managed to see her in both 1964 and '65, when she came to the Edinburgh Festival with Burt as her pianist and arranger - a highlight in my life, as I got to meet both of them at the stage door of the theatre a few times! (Angie Dickinson was an added bonus in 1965! Burt's then wife)
Alistair
Rio

Post by Rio »

Marie, Marie

I posted about this arrangement before. Marlene writes about it in her autobiography.

steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Back a few years ago in Germany, there was a museum for MArlene D. IT contained Burt's arrangements along with other artifacts..I dont know if its still open or not...

Steveo