Kennedy Center Honorees

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

An Enormous BB Fan

Kennedy Center Honorees

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Here are the names of the next honorees. Once again, they neglect to honor the greatest composer and a man more deserving of this honor than anyone. Shame, shame, shame on them!

Oprah Winfrey, Merle Haggard, Paul McCartney, Jerry Herman and Bill T. Jones.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/arts/ ... l?ref=arts
kyleburke

Re: Kennedy Center Honorees

Post by kyleburke »

Every year that passes begs more disbelief! Paul McCartney's time came before Burt's?? Come on!
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

I cannot think of a better "triple header honoree" than Burt, Hal & Dionne! - The world's greatest "musical trinity"! ...... Wouldn't you love to know what goes on during this annual decision making process?
Rio

Post by Rio »

KC ignores Burt. This can't happen, so it becomes ever more important that KC mends its ways. It is almost as if KC grows in importance every time it gives additional evidence that it is incapable of noticing the gorilla in the room.

In my judgement, the selection has rendered itself irrelevant by its very failure to make sensible choices.

I wish Burt is never chosen. That would make it even clearer, if that is possible, how stupid this thing is; and Burt would never, ever, have to honor an event that couldn't possibly honor him.
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

I`ve said this before, but since the subject keeps arising...
I think that the metastasising of "awards" has cheapened beyond redemtion the value of any of them. At this point an acknowledgement by the KC (or the R&R Hall of Fame, or...or...or...) would be about as much of an honor as an Employee of the Month plaque. To hell with all of them. Just enjoy the music.
bonkersforburt

Post by bonkersforburt »

there is a process for nominating and i wrote the proper letters several years in a row. i was told it only takes one letter for the committee to consider a name. it was my understanding that hal david was on the nominating committee. although they claim there is nothing political about it, we had to know burt would not be honored during bush's administration.
but since we know president o is a dionne fan, it may be time to try again next spring. and you are right, due to some of their dubious choices the prize has lost some of its luster. it would be meaningful to his children though for them to see him honored. i believe burt attended the festivities when elizabeth taylor attended.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

As I've mentioned before, if Burt had been been born in the U.K. he would have been knighted !
Arise "Sir Burt Of Bacharach"............ :)

"blue"
ron hertel

Post by ron hertel »

Recognition is flattering; however, I tend to agree with Blair ........... these tributes, awards, honorary degrees, etc etc have gotten out of hand and lost much of their meaning. I prefer to focus on enjoying the music and supporting their efforts. ....... The "politics" of what goes on in this decision making process is no longer of interest to me!
Peter Greenhill

Post by Peter Greenhill »

I agree with the post saying that if Burt Bacharach were British he would have been knighted long ago.

Apply for dual nationality Burt, we Brit's will give you the recognition you deserve!!.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Hi,
I just wrote to the Kennedy Center Honors website and asked them to nominate Burt....Im sure I dont pull any weight, but hey, I broght it to their attention....

Steveo
MarkusFlavius

Post by MarkusFlavius »

To get a perspective on the Kennedy Center Honors, I checked on their website to see who has actually been honored in both popular songwriting and popular female singers since the inception of the honors in the late 70's.

Here are the past honorees who are songwriters (some are both singer/songwriters, performers and/or producers): COMDEN & GREEN, JULE STYNE, STEPHEN SONDHEIM, LERNER & LOWE, BENNY GOODMAN, FRED EBB & JOHN KANDER, QUINCY JONES, BRIAN WILSON, RAY CHARLES, CHUCK BERRY, JAMES BROWN, PAUL SIMON, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, TOWNSHEND & DALTRY (THE WHO), SMOKEY ROBINSON, ELTON JOHN, JERRY HERMAN, STEVIE WONDER, COUNT BASIE, ANDRE PREVIN, BOB DYLAN, JOHNNY CASH, and PAUL McCARTNEY.

It would certainly seem that BACHARACH & DAVID should be considered in that list.

The past honorees who are female popular singers are: ELLA FITZGERALD, LENA HORNE, ARETHA FRANKLIN, LORETTA LYNN, TINA TURNER, DOLLY PARTON, DIANA ROSS and BARBRA STREISAND. Most of Dionne's peers are in that list as well.

Makes 'ya wonder.
Steve Schenck

Post by Steve Schenck »

Did I miss something? Are Rogers and Hammerstein really NOT on that list of other notables?
MarkusFlavius

Post by MarkusFlavius »

Sorry, I did overlook RICHARD RODGERS, who was in the first group of honorees in 1978. OSCAR HAMMERSTEIN, however, died in 1960, well before the Kennedy Center Honors were initiated.