Gershwin Prize

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

Gershwin Prize

Post by Steve Schenck »

I just read that Paul McCartney will receive the Library of Congress's Gershwin Prize for Popular Song. That's great, but what about Burt??!! The prize is relatively new, with only two previous recipients - Stevie Wonder and Paul Simon, surely worthy recipients; but I'd easily put Burt in there with, if not ahead of, them both. No complaint here about Stevie and Paul Simon, but I would prefer to see our brother-citizen receiving the award before folks from other countries, since this is a prize from the Library of Congress. I hope they don't wait till they can only give a posthumous award to the esteemed Burt Bacharach.
vincent.cole

Re: Gershwin Prize

Post by vincent.cole »

Bonjour Steve Schenck;

I am in total agreement with you!

Give Burt the Library of Congress's Gershwin Prize for Popular Song!

Take care;

Vincent
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Yes, Steve and Vincent: Burt is getting the shaft again! He is just soooooo deserving of these awards that it's getting to be ridiculous already. And, yes, McCartney (with Lennon) wrote some great songs, that's true. However, Burt's music is definitely of a higher order than Paul's. Paul couldn't even attempt to compose with the excitement and sophistication that Burt brings to his music. Being a Beatle goes a long way, I guess.
Jerry

Post by Jerry »

Hey, Guys!

When they make the decisions regarding these awards, don't forget, that they not only look at the 'body of work', but also who will bring the highest level of recognition to the award itself for that year. Not only that, but the rich swells who support awards such as this want to think themselves 'in the know', or, 'sophisticated', when most of the time they aren't. They are the ones who support award endowments such as this, as well as, the Kennedy Center Honrs, which frankly, has had some questionable choices, as far as I'm concerned!

This subject sort of goes hand-in-hand with the Rolling Stone Top 500 list. Things of this nature--and I include our Maestro Burt!--which are not easily catagorized, don't fit into current notions of what is hip, Politically Correct (Madonna & Run DMC in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame...Gimme a break!?!), usually get the award shaft.

Frankly, artists of Burt Bacharach's quality and sophistication (with the exception of the 1962-'71 period) are just too good for some.

Of course, we know better!

Very Best To All,

Jerry
Blair N. Cummings

Post by Blair N. Cummings »

With entertainment awards proliferating like bacteria in a Petri dish, I don`t see how it`s possible to take any of them seriously. Who honestly cares to whom these statuettes, plaques, sheepskins, or whatever are bestowed?
I doubt that Burt is losing any sleep over not being asked to stand next to Elton John at the Kennedy Center.But if we`re going to take this latest "honor" as having something to do with its namesake, surely Jimmy Webb deserves preferential consideration over lightweight diversions like Wonder and McCartney. Maybe he and Burt can watch the proceedings together (assuming there`s a ceremony) and just have a good laugh.
scotsgreg

Post by scotsgreg »

Stevie Wonder and Paul McCartney 'lightweight diversions?' I'm all for supporting recognition of Burt Bacharach's music and appreciate the general cynicism of recent posters regarding the endless and increasingly meaningless proliferation of awards, but I think characterizing these two tremendously talented and accomplished individuals as 'lightweight' is neither fair nor accurate, given the spectacular body of work and cultural influence of each. Unfortunately for Bacharach, part of being gifted with the ability to straddle genres, markets and eras to both great success and dismal failure with some dry or mediocre spells in between can result in a less bold and distinct public perception of one's musical brand. As Bacharach never truly achieved lasting superstardom as a marquee performer on the scale of a Paul Simon or an Elton John and given the fact that the most prominent interpreter of his music has a significantly diminished presence in the industry herself these days, it's not all that surprising to me that he is overlooked as often as he is. I may not entirely agree with some of the selections, but I find the frequent omission of Bacharach's name from such honors at least somewhat understandable. And I personally think that both Wonder and McCartney are deserving of most of the accolades they receive.
burtchifan

Post by burtchifan »

There are many, many wonderful artists that have long deserved all kinds of accolades there are. However, we, the fans, are not part of those responsible for making those selections. If it were up to us, Burt, Hal, and Dionne would certainly be recipients of this award, at least Burt and Hal at the same time. Besides the music of Burt, my favorite band is Chicago; they've been together for over 40 years (43 to be exact) and are still NOT in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame, and they are the second-most successful American band-EVER!
If I'm not mistaken, the President (Barack Obama) is listed on Burt and Hals' myspace page as being a fan... just saying.
Anyway, here's to the music of Burt and Hal. They are award winners in our hearts and minds!