New Cast Album

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

New Cast Album

Post by Steve Schenck »

Just read on the "Promises, Promises" website that today, May 10th, the cast from the current revival was in a Manhattan studio recording its "cast album." Sony is due to release the recording at an as yet undisclosed date. It will be interesting to see how this recording compares with the glorious 1968 one, and for me, I want to see if the studio will splurge and provide an expanded orchestra for the recording, as opposed to the trimmed down one being used for the revival. Here's hoping!
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: New Cast Album

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Interesting! And if this cast album doesn't include as many pieces in the orchestra as the original, then I would be very disappointed and consider it very "cheesy" indeed! I can't imagine that Burt would stand for it. I'm kind of surprised that Burt allowed this Broadway production to be done with a pared down orchestra, quite frankly. [I suppose he had no choice in the matter.]
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

It's long been common practice for cast recordings to "sweeten" the pit orchestra with additional strings; I'm hoping Sony follows suit for the new PROMISES album. Seeing as how Tunick's major reduction to his orchestration was in the string department, adding some of these parts back would go a long way.
Bill Minnick

Post by Bill Minnick »

Great news, and I'll be among the first in line to purchase the new recording. And while I share the "expanded orchestra" sentiments of my fellow posters, I just wanted to opine that the "pared down" orchestra now being used in the revival sounds far from insufficient or "thin." These are clearly top notch musicians doing a superb job, as far as I could discern. That said, hear's hoping that they spare no expense in producing the new record!
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

So glad you felt that way, Bill. While 18 musicians is in no way 30, Tunick did an exceptional, exceptional job with his new orchestrations. I can't see any Bacharach fan being disappointed by the sound of this revival, and I'm eagerly awaiting the recording!!
Roberto Pinardi

Post by Roberto Pinardi »