4 Tony nominations for PP

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

GehVorbei

4 Tony nominations for PP

Post by GehVorbei »

If I didn't miss anything: Katie Finneran, Sean Hayes, Choreography, Orchestration
steveo_1965

Re: 4 Tony nominations for PP

Post by steveo_1965 »

Hi,
I wonder how this works orchestration wise and choreowise...
I guess Tunick is still the orchestrator? and who is the current choreographer?

Steveo
nymusicalsguy

Re: 4 Tony nominations for PP

Post by nymusicalsguy »

It's no surprise but still unfortunate that PROMISES was snubbed for a Best Revival nomination in favor of two long-closed shows: FINIAN'S RAINBOW and RAGTIME. This precludes the show from getting a performance slot on the broadcast, which is a certain sales boost.

On the plus side, PP grossed over $1m last week, which is encouraging in the face of the largely mixed-to-negative reviews.

I'm hoping the producers make the most of the four nominations they did receive, and lobby for the usual 45 seconds or so sometimes given to non-nominated shows in recent years.

And in answer to your questions, Rob Ashford is the choreographer as well as director. He's returning to a similar milieu next season with a revival of HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS..., and it will be interesting to see how he differentiates it from PROMISES in that he moved PROMISES' time period much closer to the original HOW TO SUCCEED's. Tunick was ruled eligible because he had to re-orchestrate the show for a smaller orchestra. His work remains exemplary.