Questions about "With a Smile"

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Steve Schenck

Questions about "With a Smile"

Post by Steve Schenck »

First of all, thanks to those who have posted the links to this terrific piece from Burt - one I had never heard, and never heard OF... Which leads to my questions:

Does anyone know anything about Jene Miller, the singer? My google search only turned up a few sites where you could buy this tune, by Burt, sung by JM, but with no biographical info. The voice is great, I think, and lends itself so well to Burt's music.

Is it on any album? Does anyone know for sure WHEN it was recorded? Are there more hidden gems like this one out there, songs that never got the exposure they deserve? I'd love to hear more, if I can. I appreciate any info folks can provide.
nymusicalsguy

Re: Questions about "With a Smile"

Post by nymusicalsguy »

Hey Steve,

"With A Smile" from the 1994 Japan-only CD release on the Nippon Columbia/Triad label, TRIBUTE TO BURT BACHARACH. It's a short but sweet 9-track CD with Japanese acts covering Bacharach tunes, and 2 new ones penned by Burt - "Mulino Bianco" (an instrumental performed by Burt himself) and "With a Smile," penned by Burt & John Bettis, and performed by Burt with Jene Miller. "Mulino" is copyright 1993, "Smile" 1994. I believe if you search the archives here, you'll find a discography I posted which brings the fine one on this website up to date. (I will update it further with the new Bacharach/Sater songs from this year.) There are indeed some recent Burt gems out there, although they're getting harder & harder to find with much of his output being released abroad, rather than here in the US. Hope this helps...

Joe
Steve Schenck

Re: Questions about "With a Smile"

Post by Steve Schenck »

Thanks a lot, Joe. Appreciate it. steve
Roberto Pinardi

Mulino Bianco

Post by Roberto Pinardi »

bye
Rob