There is a German town called "Bacharach "!

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

Djalma Junior

There is a German town called "Bacharach "!

Post by Djalma Junior »

Dear friends,

I was surprised to discover that there is a town in Germany called "Bacharach".
Perhaps the inhabitants of the town of "Bacharach" don't know the importance of our great Master Burt "Bacharach".
If they knew, would perhaps a tribute to Master Burt!

See the official site of the city:

http://www.bacharach.de/english/code/xt ... meset.html

Best regards,
Djalma Junior
djalmaverdao@gmail.com
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: There is a German town called "Bacharach "!

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

This town was mentioned on this forum a number of years ago. If I recall correctly, Burt knows of the town (and why wouldn't he?). But I can't remember if his family comes from there. Burt's father was a famous syndicated columnist (Bert Bacharach) and Burt is, of course, Burt! So it wouldn't surprise me at all if he comes from a long line of very prominent people whom they even named a town after!

(Yes, I know -- it's probably the other way around. Your surname would be the name of where you're from.)
mserra

Post by mserra »

There is another curious and intereresting anecdote about Bacharach's ancestors: Among them Was a well known Kabalist of 1600,Elhanan Nephtali BACHARACH:Who is famous for his book entiteled: Emeq ha melech.The valley of the King.
pljms

Post by pljms »

Those of us who spend quite a bit of time in Germany will appreciate the irony of a town in the Fatherland called Bacharach because, believe me, the composer of the same name means nothing or next to nothing to most Germans I've come into contact with over the years. A browse through music stores in all the major German cities I've visited is even more depressing because it's very rare that I come across a Bacharach CD or even a Bacharach related one. Yes, even Dionne Warwick discs are hard to find out there. No wonder whenever BB performs in Europe he gives Germany a wide berth.
Paul
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

You're so right, pljms. I visit Germany on busines several times a year and have found exactly the same thing. Mind you, Switzerland's just as bad. As far as Europe goes, the cult of Bacharach appears to be strongest in the UK, Italy and Holland.
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Just back from the record store around the corner here in Berlin and there were 12 different BB albums and 15 from DW on display. They had a hole stack of the just released DW "Original Album Series" box that contains 5 of her Scepter albums. They even had a dozen copies or so of those talent-free karaoke-style Traincha albums as one of the most recent products associated with BB.

I don't know where you got the impression from that Burt and Dionne aren't big in Germany. Much of the music-buying public might not know the names of composers - be it Leiber/Stoller, BB/HD or King/Goffin - but they sure know the music. Everybody Knows Walk On By, ISALP or TWFAF. One of the greatest cultural icons of postwar Germany, choreographer Pina Bausch who died recently, did one of her signature pieces to songs from the BB/HD/DW catalogue. And Dionne is here all of the time, just now she is listed as guest of Germany's biggest TV personality Thomas Gottschalk's 60th birthday show next week.
BachtoBacharach

Post by BachtoBacharach »

You may also find many BB and DW discs in France, Belgium and The Netherlands at various venues. DW has always been big in Germany and Austria. As GehVorbei stated, folks in Europe may not know the composers but they certainly know the songs and the singers. Warwick also frequently performs in Germany.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

As I'm visiting Berlin once again after Easter, Perhaps GehVorbie would be kind enough to give me the name of this miraculous shop with no less than 12 BB CDs. If you can't remember the name just let me know what district it's in as I know my way around after more than 30 visits. Thanks.
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Hi Sara, it's Dussmann on Friedrichstraße, close to Bahnhof Friedrichstraße. You can't miss it. Dionne is in the "Soul" section, Burt in the "composers/bandleaders" section and some more stuff is upstairs in the "Jazz" section.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

Thanks for the info, GehVorbie. It's a bit of a distance from where I stay but I do remember visiting that store once, but as I was on a mission to look for several classical CDs for my father (classical section was in the basement as I remember) I don't think I even had time to visit the other sections of the shop. I have to say 'Composers and Bandleaders' is a much more appropriate home for Bacharach's CDs than the dread 'Easy Listening'. I'll be there sometime next week.
Djalma Junior

Post by Djalma Junior »

Dear friends,

Respecting everyone's opinion, however, be emphasized that there is the work of the German singer Marion Maerz, which launched in 1971 on vinyl, the album, "Burt Bacharach Songbook" in 2009 remastered CD, which I personally liked much.
Below, the songs from the album:

"Burt Bacharach Songbook"
by Marion Maerz
Feb 06 2009
Bureau B

01. Warten und Hoffen (Wishin' And Hopin')
02. Frag doch nur Dein Herz (Trains & Boats & Planes)
03. So wie ich (Close To You)
04. Nimm nicht alles so schwer (Don't Go Breaking My Heart)
05. Wenn ich die Regentropfen seh (Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head)
06. Alles ist nun vorbei (Anyone Who Had A Heart)
07. Ein Haus ist kein Zuhaus (A House Is Not A Home)
08. Einsame Träume (Odds And Ends)
09. Das Ende der Reise (24 Hours From Tulsa)
10. Geh vorbei (Walk On By)
11. Ich wünsche mir so viel von Dir (I Say A Little Prayer)
12. Auf dieser Erde (All Kinds Of People)

See the album cover below:

Credit: http://static.boomkat.com/images/279377/333.jpg

Best regards,

Djalma Junior
Last edited by Djalma Junior on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pljms

Post by pljms »

I'm in Berlin for a couple of days and went into Dussmann (see above) this morning and found the grand total of three CDs under Bacharach's name, 'Simply the Songs', 'The Burt Bacharach Story' and 'At This time'. Not many but it's three more than I usually find in German music stores.
Paul