Moon Guitar??

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

grooverider

Moon Guitar??

Post by grooverider »

While listening to a cd by Tommy Garret, I noticed one song titled, "Moon Guitar", with the credit to Burt Bacharach and Hal David. I was taken by surprise because I don't recongize this title. I'm wondering if this is a typo because of two writer credit mistakes on the cd: "This Is My Song" is credited to Gus Kahn and Egbert Van Alstyne (it was written by Charlie Chaplin) and "Sunny" is credited to George Shearing(!) although it was written and first performed by Bobby Hebb.
Is this another typo? This album originally came out in approximately 1966 and I don't remember it being on any Dionne Warwick album of that time and I can't think of any other version that might have come out around that time.
It's a beautiful melody, so it sounds like it could be from Burt Bacharach but who did record it? Is it an early Bacharach composition? I would really like to hear a vocal version, if that's available. (It's not a version of "Blue Guitar", by the way.)
Thank you for any insight and help.
nymusicalsguy

Re: Moon Guitar??

Post by nymusicalsguy »

"Moon Guitar" is indeed a BB/HD song, though the lyrics haven't been recorded or indeed, ever surfaced.

It was actually the first credited BB/HD production as recorded in 1961 by the Rangoons on Laurie 3096.

Hope this helps!

Joe
grooverider

Post by grooverider »

Hi nymusicalsguy, I very much appreciate your info. It is very helpful to learn about the "lesser" known songs of Bacharach/David. Thank you!
Art
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Well,
I wonder if the lyrics might be in one of the early Bacharach and David sheet music song folios
from long ago...maybe the batch published by PAramount?

Steveo
musiclover2010

Post by musiclover2010 »

I think there is no vocal version of that song only music track.