Bacharach music in TV commercials

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

mark
Site Admin

Bacharach music in TV commercials

Post by mark »

I was just trying to identify a song from current TV commerical when I came across this forum: http://adtunes.com/forums/

It got me thinking that we've never compiled an comprehensive list of commercials that use Bacharach songs. So I'll start:

1. The current Saturn commerical ("it almost feels like the car finds you") uses an instrumental version of "This Guy's In Love With You."

2. Mercedes was using "The Look of Love" a few years ago if I recall correctly.

3. "Martini and Ros-si. On the rocks. Say, 'yeeees!'"

4. Is it Visa that's using "Wishing and Hoping"?

Any others?
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

A House Is Not A Home was featured on Will & Grace tonight!
Also Macys is using What The World Needs Now.
Jay

Post by Jay »

A House Is Not A Home was featured on Will & Grace tonight!
Yes, it was a pleasant surprise to hear that on Will & Grace.

Just goes to show you the long lasting power of Burt's and Hal's music.
warbachavid

Post by warbachavid »

And the singer singing it, Dionne Warwick. The ad from Macys was for Calvin Klien Eternity.
Steve

Post by Steve »

One of those Carribean Cruise lines, or Club Med type advertisements uses "What the World Needs Now." And there's another one using "Close to You," but I can't recall which one it is.
guest westgate

Post by guest westgate »

Wayne Brady selling coffee? to 'I Say A Little Prayer'
SEM

commercials

Post by SEM »

"Do you know the way to use E-bay?"
Instead of "Do you know the way to San Jose?"
That song gets stuck in my head whenever I hear it. And that goofy woman dancing around in the commercial makes me laugh too. I like Wayne Brady's coffee cream commercial as well. At first, I was a little disturbed that these people were changing the words to Burt's wonderful songs, but it's kind of nice to hear them.
guest westgate

Post by guest westgate »

Let's remember that they are Hal David's lyrics!!! Not sure if Hal is distubed, but I am sure both are getting paid. And it's not like Burt has not done lots of comericals himself!!
Andrew

Bacharach music in ads

Post by Andrew »

British Gas used the song 'Something Big' in one of their commercials here in the uk last year, also there is a Sandals Caribbean Resorts ad running at the moment using 'What the World Needs Now'.

Off the subject slightly, my sister was telling me she saw a group of visiting nuns singing 'Say a Little Prayer' in her daughter's school last week!!
SEM

commercials

Post by SEM »

I would have loved to hear "Something Big" in a commercial. I just ADORE the CD in which Burt sings it. Another song that runs through my head all day long.

I heard a Foley's commercial tonight "Always something there to excite me" instead of "Always something there to remind me." In other parts of the country, Foley's (owned by the May Company) might be known by other names that I just can't remember right now. Robinson & May is one.

I think it's great that they are banking in more ways than one on their music-both Burt and Hal. I know that Burt has young kids...I am about to marry into 4 young children myself. If I had written wonderful songs, yes, I would put them out there and make any $$ I could...get these kids through college and a nice little nest egg.....
Marcel

Commercials

Post by Marcel »

Volkswagen used Close To You for the new Golf.
A Belgium beer brand used The Look Of Love.
:lol:
Marcel

Commercials

Post by Marcel »

Volkswagen used Close To You for the new Golf.
A Belgium beer brand used The Look Of Love.
:lol:
Toninho Spessoto

Bacharach On Commercials

Post by Toninho Spessoto »

Mark,

In the 70's, Burt Bacharach did a commercial for a Brazilian whisky, named Passport.
The campaign also had films with Frank Sinatra and David Niven.

For his commercial, Burt createad a theme song, never recorded.

Toninho

Post by Guest »

Yes, that Passport commercial was a classy one. I remember Passpor's theme well to this day.
Sinatra had lost his mother the day he recorded his version of the commercial (they all had the star saying "I toast you all, my friends in Brazil, with Passport"). That was a lesson on professionalism!
The first time I heard of Burt was when my father said the instrumental playing through the commercial for another whiskey, Old Eight, was his and was called Alfie... Also a nice commercial, in good taste, as the choice of song would suggest.
Great to kow about these other commercial (and the nuns), guys!
chilipop

Burt Ads

Post by chilipop »

Back in Detroit in the 80's, the local TV station played a snippet of "Nikki" as their intro for the 4 O'Clock Movie. I used to watch the movie almost every day after school and really love the tune, as a result.