Wow, YT Link to Beach Boys obscurity, very Bacharachian

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

igtmfo33

Wow, YT Link to Beach Boys obscurity, very Bacharachian

Post by igtmfo33 »

Wow, one of the greatest Beach Boys songs ever (it was circa 1965) escaped my attention until a few days ago. Have you heard "She's Not The Little Girl I Once Knew" .... It was a single, never on an LP in that era apparently... added as an extra tune on "Beach Boys Today" CD. I can't get it out of my head. The intro theme has carved a groove in my medulla.

It was a little too unusual to get much push from the label then. The "Wrecking Crew" at it's best here. A real pop anthem. Here's You Tube link to the song:

This guy's You Tube channel has a bunch of complete LPs from that era, happily, including "Beach Boys Today," their "Summer Days and Summer Nights," .... both of Simon & Garfunkel's best: "Parsley Sage" and "Bookends" and lots of other great stuff, including two Nick Drake LPs. Man I love the Internet. Geez I hope Google has good copyright lawyers so we can listen to this stuff for free forever ... this guy's channel with all the LPs is:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=six ... =playlists
steveo_1965

Re: Wow, YT Link to Beach Boys obscurity, very Bacharachian

Post by steveo_1965 »

Having grown up in the Beach Boy era, If I remember correctly,... "The Little Girl I Once Knew" was a single....but it didn't sell well at the time...
it was off the Beach Boys "Today" album, and yes Brian uses some sustain chords, like Burt does...
It's a marvelous record
Steveo
Raposo Loves You

Post by Raposo Loves You »

Being a huge Beach Boys fan, I have to recommend to you the track "Let Him Run Wild" from the "Summer Days and Summer Nights" album. That song is VERY influenced by Bacharach. Seek it out!

Also, the instrumental "Let's Go Away for a While" from Pet Sounds... Brian was obviously a huge fan.

An interesting anecdote: Brian Wilson came to Jazz Fest in New Orleans a few years back and I had the opportunity to attend an interview session moderated by Harry Shearer. Brian started taking questions from the audience... he called on me (!) and I asked him what his favorite Bacharach songs were.

His answer? "Walk on By", "Are You There With Another Girl", and "Here I Am".

Chris
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

TY Chris for the info on Brian..he told me many times his favorite was Here I Am..but didn't know about the 2 others!
Steveo
Raposo Loves You

Steve, I take it you've spent time with Brian? Do you mind sharing your connection with the big guy?

Chris
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

Raposo Loves You wrote:Steve, I take it you've spent time with Brian? Do you mind sharing your connection with the big guy?

Chris
And, Steve, is he as whacked out and crazy as he appears.... or is he worse in person? When he performs, he looks as if he's in a catatonic state and his hands seem to be simply going up and down on the keyboard. I don't see any real playing of the piano. Whenever I see him, I feel so sorry for him. I know how his friend/psychiatrist basically ran his life. The Brian Wilson story is a very, very sad affair. And, yet, through all of that, he still managed to write some great songs -- the greatest of which, it is my belief, is "God Only Knows". I enjoy his singing, too. For all his gifts, though, he's paid way too high a price.
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Raposo and Enormous,
Thank you for your enqury about Brian...
Yes, He is a big guy, pretty tall and imposing phyiscally..
but gentle.
My association with the Beach Boys was from 1968 to
1973, about a five year period.
Yes, I knew Brian pretty well...but haven't seen him since that time...He was not as "spaced out" as he later became with all
the drug abuse etc. that he later did..and later all the therapy with the Dr. Landy scene...I predated that..so Brian was more together at that time..but yes he could be in a world of his own quite often...
I know he has definitely had some problems with the drugs and all, but glad to see he is now drug free, re-married, and
living a constructive life.
He loved playing the piano in his living room, and also in his home made studio,(a Chickering) which was also in the house...loved Jimmy Webb(MC Arthur Park), and also mentioned Burt, because he knew I was big on him as well. He mentioned Here I Am, and even gave me his copy of that album as a present...which he often played on his "Dual" brand turntable...but, as I said, I am suprised to hear that his other 2 favorites are Walk On By and Are You There (excellent choices, and both genius records!)
Steveo
Raposo Loves You

As I understand it, the drugs that have most affected Brian's outward appearance WERE NOT the illegal drugs he took in the 60s and 70s. It was the medications Landy prescribed to "control" him in the early 80s that led to his slurred speech and other problems. If you watch BB docs from the late 70s, although Brian is clearly obese and not doing well, his manner of speaking is still totally natural. By the time of Dennis's death in 1983, he has clearly changed.

When I saw him at the interview session, he was lucid, a little nervous, clearly a little "off", but answered questions appropriately and didn't say anything strange or inappropriate. He ssems to be in a better place now than he has been for a long time, which is a very nice thing.

Chris
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Pretty scary, Chris...glad he''s in a better place now in his life.
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

I've still got my fingers crossed that the other songs Burt composed with Brian will eventually see the light of day...I'm not sure if they were ever recorded or demo'ed, but I believe a total of three songs were co-written, and only the sublime "What Love Can Do" has been released.
Hank

Post by Hank »

This thread puts me in mind of another Brian Wilson gem - Guess I'm Dumb - sung by Glen Campbell - It may have been another thread on this site that turned me onto it but it is a classic - enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5OXKRIy ... re=related
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

guess Im Dumb is a very cool record...
it should have charted!
Steveo