Dionne Warwick Interview with David Nathan Online

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

BachtoBacharach

Dionne Warwick Interview with David Nathan Online

Post by BachtoBacharach »

David Nathan interviews Dionne Warwick. In this interview, Warwick discusses her work with Burt Bacharach and Hal David and chooses some of her favorite Scepter and WB singles. How Many Days of Sadness, The Green Grass Starts To Grow, Looking With My Eyes, In Between the Heartaches, Be Aware, etc. are heard in full and the backstory behind the singles; interesting and refreshing in that these are unusual choices that Dionne highlights and discusses and not the usual choices we all have heard about Alfie, Walk On By, I Say A Little Prayer, et al. Interesting to note that Warwick states, when discussing her long-time friendship with Thom Bell, the tune Then Came You and her Track of the Cat album written and produced by Bell, that Thom submitted several tunes to Bacharach and David for Dionne in the late 60s and early 70s that she never got the opportunity to hear that were eventually recorded by the Sytlistics. Perhaps Bacharach/David were protecting their investment in hitmaker Dionne. Makes me wonder if that's why Thom Bell decided to record Bacharach/David/Warwick classic "You'll Never Get to Heaven" with the Sytlistics in 1972, a cover that went on to become a hit. There are so many tunes written by Thom that sound so much like what Bacharach was writing for Warwick in the 60s.

Here is the link to listen to the entire interview: http://www.dionnewarwick.info/news.html
An Enormous BB Fan

Re: Dionne Warwick Interview with David Nathan Online

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

WOW! Thanks so much bachtobacharach for posting this link. I listened to it straight through. I just loved hearing Dionne talk about those songs and those days with Burt and Hal, and Thom Bell, etc. Dionne sang so many other great songs other than her hits, so I figured that she, like me, would love some of the non-hits just as much. In hindsight, I'm sorry that she didn't mention "Let Me Go To Him" as one of her favorites. I would have bet anything that that song had to be one of her favorites. Well, it was such a great show and thanks for posting it here. And I agree about Thom Bell. From the moment I became aware of him, I did recognize his greatness as a songwriter.... and I do feel that Thom Bell, as a songwriter, is definitely an heir to Burt. I love Thom's arrangements, too. And Dionne was right when she said that Thom and Linda Creed were definitely in the mold of Burt and Hal.
blueonblue

Post by blueonblue »

Enormous,
Fully agree with you, really enjoyed the David Nathan interview !!!
And the Thom Bell, Linda Creed track "World Of My Dreams"........my god, what a beautiful song that is !!!!

"blue"
PS
Thank you "BachtoBacharach" !!!!!! :D
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

Thanks for posting this interview link. It's fascinating to hear Dionne talk about lesser known tunes like "How Many Days of Sadness", "Looking with My Eyes" and "Be Aware". The latter two are favourites of mine but I'd never heard Dionne talk about them until this interview. I certainly didn't know that they were amongst her favourites.

Her comments regarding the difficulty of singing the beautiful "Looking with my Eyes" (which actually sounds effortless) and the challenges of Burt's arrangements are most informative.

Martyn.
An Enormous BB Fan

Post by An Enormous BB Fan »

blueonblue wrote:Enormous,
Fully agree with you, really enjoyed the David Nathan interview !!!
And the Thom Bell, Linda Creed track "World Of My Dreams"........my god, what a beautiful song that is !!!!

"blue"
PS
Thank you "BachtoBacharach" !!!!!! :D
OH YES! I replayed "World of My Dreams" about 7 times straight! I swear to you that I would never have to be told that that song was a Thom Bell composition. That song is PURE Thom Bell. That's another song that, when you hear it, you canNOT believe that it wasn't a HUGE hit... especially when so many lesser songs make it big.