The beautiful B. Wilson 1965-1966

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

igtmfo33

The beautiful B. Wilson 1965-1966

Post by igtmfo33 »

Like most of y'all I didn't buy the comprehensive Beach Boys, 1963-64 kind of stylized surf Chuck Berry stuff .. but from 1965 into 1966 or so, enormous work. Especially before Pet Sounds, those LPs hide some hidden beautiful stuff. Especially the two previous, "Beach Boys Today" and "Summer Days (And Summer Nights)"

Happily I don't have to procrastinate about buying these two albums any more. They are both available in their entirety for a listen on a guy's YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=six ... =playlists

"Girl Don't Tell Me," "She's Not The Little Girl I Once Knew," "Please Let Me Wonder" etc.

This YouTube guy also has two Nick Drake LPs and two Simon & Garfunkel LPs on that channel. Thanks dude.

Note, I edited this thread six months after the fact because I find out there is a Brian Wilson/McCartney tune collaboration ("A Friend Like You," also on YouTube) ... and Burt/Brian collaborations as noted by poster below ...
Last edited by igtmfo33 on Wed May 13, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blueonblue

Re: The beautiful B. Wilson 1965-1966

Post by blueonblue »

Another "hidden gem" from Brian !

"blue"
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

No antipathy at all between those three...Wilson & McCartney have performed together in the past (lovely renditions of "God Only Knows" and "Let It Be" live, and a duet on Brian's GETTIN' IN OVER MY HEAD album) and Wilson & Bacharach have written together. It's unfortunate that of the reputed 3 co-writes between Burt & Brian, only one (the stellar "What Love Can Do") has been released. Wishing and hoping that the other fruits of their collaboration come to light...

And a McCartney/Bacharach tune wouldn't be bad, either!
Rio

Post by Rio »

Walk On By with the Beach Boys (50 secs)
igtmfo33

Post by igtmfo33 »

Well, no Burt involved, but ....

Paul McCartney and Cat Stevens duet?

Yes, on a new Cat song called "Boots and Sand" ... on Cat's new release ...

Cat was on Tavis Smiley show the other night ... he's not so religiously against music as something trivial nowadays, but said that the culture has a role in advertising/informing the deeper messages of religion and thought ...

It's not quite right that Cat ditched music at the height of his fame ... "Catch Bull at Four" was in 1973 (72?) or so then he had some not so great work until the very end of the 70s (I remember the great Texas :) guitarist Eric Johnson playing on "Bad Brakes" on Cat's LP of that era, 1979 or so ..) ...

At the same time Cat, in say, 1978 or 1979, drawing full houses for live concerts, kind of got out of the world of music and of mammon. But no mistake, his best tunes, his very inspired stuff, was way behind him ...

But .... Cat's teenage son, a year or three ago, had listened to his dad's LPs on the sly (this accd to Cat on Tavis' show) and snuck a guitar into the house. And Cat saw it in the corner, and played a C chord, then fell in love with the F chord ... and so some new music ..

FYI has anyone heard any great new songwriters lately, on the order of Burt, Cat, Paul Mac, etc? ... if so please write me at gransinderesis@hotmail.com ...

My bad ... the Beach Boys LP before Pet Sounds was "Summer Days and Summer Nights" ... all Brian songs I think, def worth an Itunes download ...
The Girl from New York City
Amusement Parks
Then I Kissed Her - The Beach Boys, Spector
Salt Lake City
Girl Don't Tell Me
Help Me, Rhonda
California Girls
Let Him Run Wild
You're So Good To Me
Summer Means New Love
I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man
And Your Dream Comes True
igtmfo33

Post by igtmfo33 »

Uh oh, been drinking tonite, D. Cowboys won sorry, so I must say:

May I also tout an album/record that should be a classic: "Scott 3" by Scott Walker. Can anyone ever tout enough, this most-brilliant-songwriting, most-heart-shattering, most-inspired tour-de-force of melody?

No hits in here. A few tunes Scott covers by Jacques Brel, OK, not great .. then comes the amazing stuff ..

The other 8-9 tunes written by Scott are worthy of comparison of the best of Burt. Yeah, that good ... a startling find (for me) ... I'm 4x years old and I never heard this tunes? ... but by the mid-70s, with the death of melody (on the radio anyway) who could gain a hit record from these beautiful, brooding tunes, so why would anyone cover them? "Scott 3" would be in the overlooked pantheon of the Zombies "Odessey and Oracle," Easybeats "Shame Just Drained" and other classics ... not much played on the radio, nobody bought much of them ..

So you songwriters, please go out and get "Scott 3" ... (I don't have any stock in this ... dang I do have stocks though, are they going to fall any farther ... please put away my sharp objects ...)
igtmfo33

Post by igtmfo33 »

Sorry everyone ... can I recommend one more. I'm an ass, just kick me in the ass (ouch, ouch)

Singers Unlimited "A Capella II" (1971 I think) .... you sink into a melancholy, beautiful mood, pure beauty pours onto you. These four singers (with overdubs) render harmonies and changes you don't ever hear in vocal melody, like transcribed from jazz piano ...Gene Puerling is the guy behind it , beautiful dissonance, jazz dissonances and resolutions. Wow, like they were transcriptions of Duke Ellington, Jarrett, etc. .. this record is the reason/inspiration that you might have later heard Manhattan Transfer, Take 6, etc. .. these vocal groups will all tell you S. Unlimited were the beginning and end of this genre and they're all just stealing. And they're right ...

Believe me, these versions of the tunes below, are the most shatteringly beautiful, vocals-only arrangements, light snow on a beautiful late fall evening ...

Singers Unlimited A Capella II ... REISSUED Track Listing: Clair; Killing Me Softly With His Song; Yesterday; My Romance; Lost In The Stars; April In Paris; Girl Talk; Nature Boy; I Don't Know Where I Stand; Autumn In New York; Like Someone In Love; Indian Summer;
Fool Killer

Post by Fool Killer »

Great subject, folks. I've always thought the pinnacle of Brian Wilson's worship and imitation of the Burt Bacharach sound can be heard in Pet Sounds's "Let's Go Away For Awhile" Click here for a nice little YouTube version of the song, featuring the audio of Brian putting the song together with the "Wrecking Crew" in early '66 (from the invaluable "Pet Sounds sessions" box set). Blissful!

The three B's (Bacharach, Beatles & Beach Boys) 4ever!
Alec

PS - true story: when I was putting together the liner notes for THE LOOK OF LOVE box set, I had called Brian's people, asking for a quote - as i was fairly sure Brian was a huge Burt fan. I didn't hear back for awhile, and sort of thought I'd never get a response, y'know, spacy ol' Brian. One evening my wife (now my ex-wife) got a call at home - and it was him! And I was away at the time! He was ready to give me my quote! Brian was ready to talk Burt, and he was calling me directly!! When I got back, I tried connecting again, and failed. Aaaaarghhh!
nymusicalsguy

Post by nymusicalsguy »

GREAT story, Alec! And so very like Brian!! I only wish it had a happier ending! Perhaps for your
next Burt liner notes assignment...(They should have paged you at Rhino UK -- the otherwise-interesting
new MAGIC MOMENTS comp has no notes or discographical information other than a brief but entertaining
introductory essay by Elvis Costello).

Joe
steveo_1965

Post by steveo_1965 »

Wasn't Gene Puerling the vocal arranger for the FOur LADS?
Anoher obscure album I highly recommend is "BUT BEAUTIFUL"
the WILL BRONSON SINGERS(Colpix records)......ala JOhnny MAnn...some really beautiful vocal voicings.

Steveo