Baby It's You / UK

The Burt Bacharach Forum is a board to discuss the music and career of composer Burt Bacharach and performers associated with his songs.

Moderator: mark

JR

Baby It's You / UK

Post by JR »

I can never get enough of this one. Imagine the vibes at that 1963 recording session with Burt and Phil Spector in the same studio.

pljms

Re: Baby It's You / UK

Post by pljms »

Just thought I'd mention that the singer is Adele. Someone on these pages suggested that the guest singers at Bacharach's Electric Proms gig in London were out of their depth. Well, she certainly wasn't and nor was Jamie Cullam. How wonderfully assured she was and she's only 19! Looking at the footage it's clear that Burt enjoyed her performance too.
Paul
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

Well, she was there and she got through it. That's about all I can say about Ms. Adkins. I don't care if she's supposedly the new Amy or the new Cilla, she definitely isn't a Shirelle. All of these retro-pop, neo-coutry and cool jazz girls that have been giving us their takes on the BB/HD songbook lately, are lacking one the key ingredients - soul. And the musical genius of Dionne, Dusty or the Shirelles.
Sara D

Post by Sara D »

"Well, she was there and she got through it". Thanks,GehVorbie, for giving me a real laugh out loud moment! For those of us lucky enough to be at the gig, it was really something to hear this great song given such a spirited rendition.
GehVorbei

Post by GehVorbei »

The Daily Telegraph wrote in it's review that she "struggled to karaoke through the song". That's exactly my impression from watching the Youtube clip.Like those Shelby or Trine(?) girls, she's totally lacking in personality or individual vocal style what would be needed to add to such a timeless classic.
pljms

Post by pljms »

To be fair, the quote, "they struggled to karaoke through Bacharach's metronomic conducting",
from the Telegraph was leveled at all three of the guest singers and it was part of the one & only review I've seen to give Bacharach's London concert the big thumbs down (See link below). Generally, Adele's performance was well received by the press, deservedly so in my opinion. If she's that good at 19, the sky's the limit for her.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jh ... ach124.xml
Paul